Eye Care Expert Forum
mutifocal lens in one eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

mutifocal lens in one eye
I am 67 and have a cataract that needs to be fixed in one eye and one that is not very bad in the other eye.  If I get a mutifocal lens now in the bad eye, how will that effect my vision?  My distance vision now needs a +1,50 correction and I wear contacts to correct that and reading glases for reading and different reading glasses for the computer.  Can anyone give me advice?
A multifocal implant lens splits light to focus both near and far. Because of this, the implant leads to a decrease in contrast sensitivity (ability to see in dim light or fog), and may cause glare or halos at night. Many factors need to be considered to be sure you are a good candidate for a multifocal intraocular lens. You should have no other eye problem besides a cataract; that is, no significant glaucoma damage, no macular degeneration or diabetic macular edema, no epiretinal membrane, no corneal scarring, etc. The best results occur when the implant is in both eyes. If you are a multifocal candidate, you may want to consider having the second eye operated sooner after the first to balance the eyes. Discuss all these issues carefully with your surgeon.
I had both eyes operated upon 2 weeks apart at the age of 66. Both cataracts were replaced with single focal lens. I have worn glasses since the age of 12 when the teacher caught me memorizing the eye chart. I am nearsighted with Astigmatism. (The astigmatism is not corrected by single focal lens implants since it is associated with the Corneas.) My progressive lens for decades was Rx for reading the 15 line since I could discern sharper vision during eye exams. I now wear new progressive lens to read and I can read the traffic signs way off in the distance when I drive. I wear glasses to protect my investment from foreign bodies entering my eyes by accident. I am not wearing my glasses as I type this message on my computer. I shave in the morning with my glasses off as well. I wear 2 power half lens reading glasses to read documents while I am entering information into the computer from these documents. I have not had any issues with these new lens or glasses since the surgery in 2009. Best regards. Joe
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.