Eye Care Expert Forum
my five year old child is crossing her eyes

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

a few months ago my five year old child began to cross her eyes, she will not see anyone and seems to be lost in some sort of spasm, her body tenses up and her hands involuntarily closes and open as her entire body tenses up. it seems to happen the most when she is tired, but it can happen at any time. she is completely normal and healthy any other way. she has had regular check ups, and eye test and nothing ever appeared wrong. I asked her about it but she said did not realize she was doing it, and could not tell me what she had been doing. its almost like she looses time. I have been trying to snap her out of it when she is in that state and she just looks at me smiles and says "im doing the crazy face again, arent i mommy" whta do I do, do I take her to regular doctor? an eye doctor? or a neuroligists? please help!!! anyone at all.
I would take her first to her pediatrician to be sure everything is OK in general.  She also needs to see a pediatric ophthalmologist regarding the eye crossing.  Your pediatrician could refer you to one.  Since your daughter is aware that she is doing this, it does not sound like a seizure, so I would hold off on seeing the neurologist for now.