Eye Care Community
myopic macular degeneration treatment?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

myopic macular degeneration treatment?

I was diagnosed with  myopic macular degeneration.  Is there any option to prevent loss of vision in the future or futher damage?  Schelral buckle surgery was recommended, but I am interested in finding out what other options there may be.
While not the same as age related macular degeneration the treatment for myopic macular degeneration is somewhat the same. There is PDT (photodynamic therapy) and intravitreal injections of anti-VEGFs. (If you want to know what it's like to have an injection read dukey's post about his experience w/ Avastin.) Unfortunately, there is no cure for any type of macular degeneration. Myopic CNV poses a significant risk to vision.
See a good retinal specialist regularly to monitor your eyes and make sure the
Scleral buckle is not a treatment for myopic macular degeneration its treatment for retinal detachment. Scleral banding or scleral reinforcement has been tried, like putting a girdle on the eye to stop it from getting longer but the treatment is not widely accepted.

JCH MD
Almost all of the vision loss is directly or indirectly related to CNV in myopia. Fortunately for you (and me!), there is excellent treatment available for this now. The really good news is that this treatment probably works the best in myopia. As long as you monitor it closely, you should be able to avoid any serious visual loss these days. There are other problems to be aware of such as a retina detachment but, again, knowledge of the symptoms and careful monitoring should avaoid any major problems. There are less reported causes of visual loos from myopia such as chorioretinal degeneration but it is more than likely that this can be traced back to CNV also. Good luck.
And scleral buckle is a waste of time from my research. Forget about that idea.
-
Hi, I'm curious-- where did you find data on the scleral buckle reinforcement for MMD?  All I could find on the internet were papers by the Dr. that does the surgery.

Julie
"Hi, I'm curious-- where did you find data on the scleral buckle reinforcement for MMD?  All I could find on the internet were papers by the Dr. that does the surgery.
"

EXACTLY!!!! That should tell you all you need to know about the success of this surgery. Trust me, forget about it.
-
Are the effective treatments you mention, the ones that Berrywoo mentions? Are these effective witheither wet or dry AMD?

Marianne
-
Well we are talking about myopic degenration, not AMD. They are completely different diseases regardless of what some might say. Most of the vision loss from myopia can be traced back to CNV, either directly or indirectly. It is true that CNV is also a feature of wet AMD but the underlying process is different (biochemical vs mechanical). In myopia, CNV is much less severe and often all it takes is one or two Avastin (anti-VEGF) shots to pin it back and reduce the chances of vision loss. As long as it is caught early, of course. Like I said there are many other serious issues in myopia. For example, a posterior staphyloma is a bad sign and can lead to severe visual loss, but CNV is still essentially the culprit at the end of the day.

I would expect the much hyped claim that myopia is "the seventh leading cause of blindness" to dissappear over the next 5-10 years with the new treatments of CNV. I think it is that good. Every single study on anti-VEGF in myopia has outstanding results. I cannot find one single study where it has not RESTORED sight in a significant proportion of subjects and I have looked.

Combine this with many of the new experimental surgeries (RPE-choroid graft, RD surgery, macular translocation) and I think things are looking better for myopes.  
-
I reas some on it, befor I asked you, but I though something was missing. Glad I asked. I want to lear all I can, so that I can protedt the vision I have.

What you say is thrilling news for myopes. I will also get this to my daughter.

However, unless my good eye has CNV, it is not relevant. Yet maybe it is. Because my good eye  is vulnerable to RD. It might even have too much laser, so it might be more vulnerable.

I have lattice degeneration, myopia, retina problems 3 times in the family, Can you say that CNV might be relevant to my condition. Could it also help RPO?
Hi. My 27 year old daughter was diagnosed last year with myopic macular degeneration in her right eye. She had Avastin injections, which at first seemed to work and improved her vision, but then the condition returned. Subsequent injections have had no apparent affect.

Now, my daughter's vision in her left eye is also beginning to have the same symptoms. Today, she had her first injection in her left eye. Help! Can someone guide me to relevant information? I am reading everything I can. BTW, what is "CNV?" Any information would be appreciated.
CNV = Choroidal Neovascularization

If you want more info start by searching the archives here and also doing a google search.

The anti-vegf injections are really the only treatment available right now for macular degeneration (wet not dry).
Did you have surgery performed by Brian ward or not becuase I see that you do not reco
mmend it here and in another blog you did with spookey
I have myopic degeneration.  I was 29 when it showed up in the form of retinal hemorrhaging in my right eye.  I had x3 PDT which left a massive central scar tissue.  This past December I experienced same symptoms in my left eye.  I had one Avistin inject. and it has helped a little, but the wavy lines and some of the paracentral shadowing is still there.  

I have researched acupuncture and have found several acupuncturist that states they can help with decreasing the scar tissue and the other symptoms?  I am 37 yrs. old now and never expected my other eye would do the same.  I have been naive.
I have myopic degeneration in both eyes.  I am losing vision in the left eye quickly.  I have heard of Dr. Brian Ward, in CA and his studies and research.  Do you have any other surgeons that are offering treatments that have proven successful in stopping the progression.  If so, please let me know.  DLitz
Why is the treatment not accepted?  Have you heard of Dr. Brian Ward in CA?  He tells me he has had very positive results.  Do you know of any other drs. that are treating myopic degeneration.  I am quickly losing sight in my left eye and want to save it.  DLitz
What is CNV?  and is there a dr I can call to discuss.  I am losing vision in the left eye quickly. the right eye has myopic degeneration also, but has been stable for the past two years.  I need to do something. DLitz
i have a choronic disease myopia degeneration so there is a problem to read and write  
     I am a qualified person  i have experience of chemical lab about 27 years.Sc in chemistry and ;M.A economics
Hi I have wet M D in both eye's I also have Glaucoma . I have had lens replacement surgery 5 years ago because of Cataract's . Im 55  my Miopia before the surgery was -12 & -13  My vision is vastly improved due to Lucentis injections it's tough to get shot's in your eye but it's  been a Godsend!
It's great that the Lucentis injections have helped with your vision impairment.  Be sure to continue being monitored regularly for your glaucoma, as sometimes the injections like Lucentis can cause temporary elevation of pressure inside the eye (IOP).

FYI there is a new drug under investigation now that may help patients with CNV who are not responding as well to anti-VEGF agents after repeated use.  It's called Fovista and has a complicated method of action, but is thought to help impede the growth of new blood vessels in the retina in a similar but different way than Lucentis and Avastin.  

I don't mention this because I think you will need it, but just to give hope to patients with myopic macular degeneration like you and me that there is more help in the pipeline.  Keep up with your eye doctor visits and good luck!