myopic macular degeneration
Dear Sir,

My husband went to see a specialist this morning for general eyes checking. Report showed that his right myopic macular degeneration with myopic cnv bleed not involving the fovea, meaning to say his right eye the bottom area bleed due to high myopic (eyes power too high, high astigmatism & short-sighted). As advised by the eye specialist, if my husband faces problem such as not clear in seeing things, must go to see him for eye injection in order to affect the fovea. What to call that injection? He is 43 year old man & smoker. most of the time facing computer & figures. What precautions should he take before it is too late? What types of supplement should be taken and any diet need to be controlled? Is he considered serious at this stage?

Your prompt reply will be much apprecited.

Thank you.

anhsien

The medication injected is generally a VEGF inhibitor sold under the names of Avastin or Lucentis. They are a huge advance in the treatment of that problem. Yes this is a serious problem.

PROGNOSIS IS MUCH WORSE IF HE CONTINUES TO SMOKE. MUST, MUST STOP SMOKING COMPLETELY AND NOW.

JCH MD
Use the search feature of this website to research "posterior pole buckling" procedure.  It is important for highly myopic individuals to be aware that this option is available.
-