Eye Care Expert Forum
new blood vessels on white part of the eye
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

new blood vessels on white part of the eye

Hello

I have not been wearing contacts for more than 6 years now. I started when I was about 16 years old and fully stopped when I was 19 years old. So about a total of 4 years of contacts. When I was 18 years old I wore my monthly contacts for more than 2 months which towards the end  of the 2 months. The contacts caused irritation in my eyes. This is when my eyes started to get red and I became unable to have a contact  lens in my left eye due to discomfort. But doctors did not find anything wrong. I noticed some new blood vessels on the white of my eye at that point. What I wonder about now is if the new blood vessels were created by lack of oxygen or by the irritation? No doctor has ever told me that I have blood vessels on the cornea itself, I'm referring to red blood vessels on the white part of the eye.

Regards
1991824_tn?1331936603
Decreased oxygen and irritation can certainly cause more blood vessels to grow on the cornea, and increased redness. It sounds like you are experiencing contact-lens intolerance, which would respond to decreased weartime, mild steroid drops, or a change in contact lenses. Make sure you have an EyeMD seeing you in addition to your optometrist.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
2078052_tn?1331936700
Doreen Fazio, M.D.Blank
Amerisight Institute and Valley Eye Center
Van Nuys, CA
MedHelp Health Answers