Eye Care Community
occasional distorted peripheral vision

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

occasional distorted peripheral vision

I occasionally experience a distortion in my peripheral vision.  The distortion seems to occur in just one eye, and generally lasts for less than 30 minutes.  It historically has occurred quite infrequently, a few times a year, but just today I experienced it for the second time in three days.

The distortion seems to be in the periphery of my vision, and it seems to have motion, sort of swirls or something.  I find it very difficult to describe.  It is different than blurred vision.
Your problem could be eye migraines (ocular migraines without headache) but it could also be serious disease of the heart, brain, blood vessels or eye. see an Eye MD ophthalmologist in the near future.

JCH MD
Did you ever find out what this was?  I've had the same thing for over ten years, my vision begins to blur starting as a tiny spot then sort of pulsating to a larger spot that blocks out half my vision with a clear pulsating circular spot, this lasts about 20 minutes, then the spot starts to get smaller again, back to the tiny spot that started, then it's gone and vision is normal again.  I saw a specialist and he said it was "probably" ocular migraines, but that doesn't tell me how stop it, so very frustrating.  I have noticed I tend to not get them when I eat a raw vegan diet and avoid all caffeine, and they come back when I break from my diet and drink coffee -- even decaf coffee -- I get them again, though I may get them anyway just by looking at a computer too long then going outside.  But raw vegan diet or not, computer usage or not -- with all the "probably"s and "possibly"s out there, I have no idea if I have a degenerative eye disease, heart condition, blood clot, brain tumor, etc. etc. etc.  Too bad the "specialist" I paid for wasn't able to tell me what I had....  So I'm really hoping you were able to get answer, and if so, please tell me what it was!  future_for_holly***@****.  Thank you.  --Holly
-
I just has same symptoms but in both eyes, and it was not pulsating. Like you said, it was not blurred, but distorted with normal amount of light. Mine was a crescent shaped distortion, exactly the same in each eye.  I sit in front of a computer monitor for 8 hrs over 6 months now. I stepped outside, got in my car, and immediately normal vision came back. I had another episode 3 or so month ago. I am also wonder, as you said, "probably"s and "possibly"s out there, what is going on? Scared about it possibly being a stroke. Aspirin regiment (that is 1/4 of a regular single pill, aspirin each day) was my doctors recommendation, and an ultrasound test for possible cause, around jugular vein area.
=