Eye Care Community
one eye loses and regains focus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

one eye loses and regains focus

Hi twice now in the past 3 months my left eye has suddenly lost focus for up to 60 seconds and then regained focus.  It is very strange and concerns me.  I wear corrective contact lenses and am 52 years old.  I need progressive lens correction but the eye doctor has me using a near lens in one eye and a distance lens in the other.  The results are not super but it keeps me out of glasses.  I do regularly get ocular migraines as well but this new sudden and short loss of vision in the left eye is new.  Do I need to be concerned?
Yes,   a unilateral loss of vision is call amaurosis fugax and can be a prelude to a stroke.  However, it is not clear to me what you mean by loss of focus.  You should see an EyeMD.

Dr. O.
Thanks for your reply.  I will book an appointment with my optometrist.  By lack of focus I do not mean loss of vision. I can still see but nothing is in focus. It's like I see a total blur and I try with all my effort to refocus and it eventually regains focus. My left eye feels weird a lot in that it feels like it could once again go out of focus almost any time. When these "spells" occur I feel like my eyeball is moving around but I don't think it is although I've never had the chance to look in the mirror when it is happening. Please let me know if you have anymore thoughts and I appreciate your help.