Eye Care Community
one eye slow to "wake up"

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

one eye slow to "wake up"

When I wake up in the morning, my left eye seems to take a little longer to wake up than the right. It's an effort to open the lid, and then it's difficult to see or focus on anything with both eyes until I've blinked repeatedly and moved my eyes right and left and up and down fairly vigorously. When I do this, I have the sensation that the sluggish eye "drags" in some places. After about a minute, my eye "wakes up" and my vision clears.

In addition, I'm having some eye dryness and itchiness, possibly also a change in vision, more difficulty focusing.

What could be causing this?
Eye dryness is the most common, especially if you've had eyelid surgery, facial paralysis or sleep with your eye open. Try Genteal Gel in both eyes at bedtime, warm water and artifical tears upon awakening. Don't sleep under a fan or air condition/heating grate.

JCH III MD
Dear Sir,

I have the same problem. No facial paralysis, no eyelid surgery and no open eye sleep, no fan or A/C in my bedroom. And this is happening for 5 month now.
Only a opening delay for the right eyelid in the morning and the a much smaller delay during the day.

I have been seen by the ophthalmologist and by the neurologist (nothing). They recommended, for my peace of mind, cerebral and orbital MRI. Should I go for it (it is very expensive here in Romania - only in private clinics).

What could be the problem?

PS: I am studying to become an ophthalmologist (funny, isn't it)
sometimes when i open my eyes after sleeping,my eye is blind.it depends on which side of my face i lay on.today when i woke up my left eye was completely blind ,it took prbly 5 mins or more for me to be able to see shadows and light.what is going on?
I cannot answer the question for certain about the MRI but as a generalization NO unless something changes, new symptoms appear or old symptoms get much worse it would not be worth the money for expensive testing.
JCH MD