Eye Care Community
one-time night blindness in one eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

one-time night blindness in one eye

Hi everyone,

To start with, I'm a 20 year old healthy female. I few nights ago something really strange happened to me when I turned out the light to go to sleep. A few minutes after I turned the light off, when my eyes should have adjusted to the dark, something didn't seem right with my vision. So I covered my left eye with my hand, leaving my right eye open, and everything went pitch black. I couldn't see anything out of my right eye. With my left eye I could see the shapes and shadows that you can usually make out in a dark room, but out of my right eye was just total pitch blackness. I turned my light back on, and everything was completely normal; I could see with both eyes. Then I turned the light out again, and once again, I had vision in my left eye but not in my right.

This happened a few nights ago, and it hasn't happened again since. This is probably irrevelant but I thought I'd mention it- I have a couple of enlarged lymph nodes as well as a swollen tonsil on the right side of my neck/head that have all been checked out by a doctor. I also have a new lump on the top of my head, also on the right side. As I said, this is probably all irrevelant to the vision problem, but I thought that maybe since all of this is on the right side of my head, which is the same side as the problem eye, it could somehow be involved.
Does anyone have any ideas of what could cause one-time temporary night blindness in one eye? Thank you for reading!
You need to start out with an ophthalmologist Eye MD doing a comprehensive medical exam. Find one at www.aao.org    It need not be anything serious or anything that will recoccur but its not normal and needs an exam

JCH MD
Thanks for the quick reply. Since it was a one time incident I was hesitant to make an appointment, but I'll take your advice. Thank you!
-
I know it's been awhile since you posted this but wondering what ever happened because I'm going through the same thing now.  Occasionally when I turn off the light, I can see everything fine with left eye but nothing out of my right.  It feels like a curtain is being pulled over my eye.  But then after a few minutes it's ok.  I've been hesitant about going to a doctor but just made an appointment.  Thanks
-Jenna
hi -- i just had the same problem (same eye, too) and was wondering if anyone had any diagnosis.  i saw a retina specialist this afternoon (as i have severe myopia and, thus, am at high risk for retinal detachment), but he said everything looked all right.  any thoughts?
I have had the same issue. It has happened about 5 times over the course of the past year.  Always late at night, and almost always (I can't remember if it is actually always) when I have fallen asleep watching TV and then wake up to go to bed that I notice the issue. Last time it happened it resolved within 30min.  But, I am going to see an opthamologist tomorrow.  Would like to hear if anyone has had this issue diagnosed/treated?
I am not sure, but don't you have to address your comment to the specific person so that he/she gets notice on his/her e-mail? This is what I always do if I want a reply.
I have this same problem, same eye (the right), and have also seen a retinal specialist who said that everything looked fine. It still scares me though and would like to know if anyone had any answers
I have this problem as well and I didn't get a clear answer from my ophthalmologist. 3 months ago, whenever I turn off the light my vision in my right eye is darker than the left eye. But I can see a little in the right eye, the only problem is its really dark. But when I turned on the light, my vision is completely normal. I thought that it might be night blindness, but I've read that unilateral night blindness (one eye only) is rare. This problem bothered me for several months so I consulted an ophthalmologist. I underwent several weird tests, I remember one he mentioned that he will check my retina and the eye drops used were very painful. In the end, he said that my eyes are okay. He just gave me some vitamins and now, I still have the problem but I don't know if I got used to it or it just occurs rarely, since its not bothering me that much.
Wow, I cant believe so many people have the same problem as I. And with the same eye! Its always the right eye that does not "adjust" to the darkness. Its like i have night blindness in one eye. Also since its so common, why dont eye doctors know anything about the phenomenon?

I am male, far-sighted, and 24 years old.
I've experienced the same thing tonight (not the 1st time)....like there is something over my eye. I put the lights on, normal sight. ....also my right eye! Very scary, as I wear contact lenses and my sight is quite bad. Do I need to see a doctor?
Ok, I thought I was going crazy. My episode occured almost 2 years ago (summer). I turned the light off in my bedroom and as I went to walk towards the bed, my equilibrium was off. I felt that "something" was obstructing my view in my left eye (like mucous). I kept trying to rub it away and refocus...but it did not clear. So I did the "practice" of covering my eye...first my right and then my left. I could see perfect with the right eye. But when I covered my right eye to test my left one, I could only see the light coming into the bedroom via my window...I could also see the time on the digital clock...other than that, I could not see my hand in front of my face with my left eye. I have seen FOUR eye doctors (2 in South Carolina and 2 in Houston (one a specialist). All of my tests (Glaucoma, field, air-pressure) all are normal. One doctor made a joke that was not funny. He said, "Don't worry about it, you're not supposed to see in the dark anyway". This effects my driving at night and I have to feel my way around my home if walking short distances in dark or even in a dimly lit room. If I approach my doorway and the porch light isn't on, I have to focus real hard to see the lock with my right eye of course. This happened so suddenly! I don't understand why doctors can not diagnose this problem! When we have our eyes examined, there is "light" in the room or they shine a light in your eye or they have you look at a screen that's brightly lit (field test, reading letters/numbers...) and yes I'm still able to read it accurately. But it is frustrating to feel "Blind" at night...I'm very cautious of anyone approaching me from my left side because, It may take me a minute to notice someone is there or to focus on who they are until I am fully facing them...Certainly there is some scientist or physician who has heard of this!!! WHERE ARE YOU!!!!!!! I want my Left eye vision restored!!!!
I have been experiencing this problem for over a year, every night. If I lay on my right side, get up in the dark to use the restroom, my left eye is, virtually blind. The same happens to the right eye if sleeping on my left side. It seem to be a central visual distortion/black area. I will be going to an ophthalomogist in a few weeks, but I'm not hopeful for answers.
With the fact that it happens in BOTH eyes, depending on what side my head rests as I sleep is especially worrisome. I have many mediacl problems, increasingly degenerating, and can;t help but wonder if there is some connections. It wouold be nice to know what and why we are experiencing these debilitating problems.
I am having a same problem and I thought I was alone , got a checkup but the doc says everything is fine . Are u guys ok???
I am going through the same exact thing ....... including the feeling of mucous obstructing the eye which I didn't see in any of the other posts. Has anyone gotten any answers? I went to my optometrist today and he said he never heard anything like it and to go see my regular doctor to get a referral for a neurologist.
I am so glad I found others. This has been happening to me for over a year on a fairly regular basis and is so frightening. Family doctor has no answes and optician could find nothing.
That's so weird, but I have exactly same thing. The problem with the right eye and right tonsil. Can you tell me if you ever found the cause?
Sorry I think I posted this incorrectly on the site.

I have exactly the same problem as you...the problem with the right eye and the enlarged right tonsil.

Could you tell me if you still suffer with both problems or if you now you have an answer?

Thanks very much.
Has anyone had an answer?  I have had a similar situation, only in my left eye.  It happens at night about 7-8 times now, my left eye goes foggy black, it feels like there is something on it or something in front of my eye but if i go in the light it is fine then when i go in the dark it is black and it only lasts a couple minutes.
I've experienced this also, & it scared me tOo! Here are some sites that explain why this may happen. I am shocked that the cause is not well known, especially when so many people are experiencing this.

Night Blindness:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003039.htm

Lack of Vitamin A:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002400.htm

A more serious case can be:
Glaucoma (Eye pressure)
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001620.htm
Im having the exact same problem. Right eye only and only in the dark...if I look at something bright in the dark, however, its fine but when I look away right eye is super distorted, dark and I can't see objects. Scary. I've been having other vision probs recently too as well as some neuro symptoms and am doing a work up for ms. Anyone figure out their weird night vision problem?
Anyone figure out what the cause may be? I have the same problem and even the best opthamologists never heard of that problem before and claimed all tests are ok. I was told by one of them that the only reasonable explanation could be heart or liver problems or blood flow problems. Could it be from not getting enough oxygen? Maybe from Smoking?
Thats interesting...liver or heart. I wonder why he thinks that. I also mentioned it to my doctor, who is very good, and he was like: "that doesn't make sense." What I don't understand is how the optho's are testing this if every test they do involves light! All of our problems happen in the dark, with minimal bright lights. Oye.
I have been doing a lot of reasearch and found out that one of Chron's Disease eye symptoms is Uveitis. The symptoms include Dark, floating spots in the vision, blurred eye vision, and sensitivity to light.  I am not a doctor and am not saying that this applies to anyone, but it seems to make sense for my situation since a doctor once told me I could have it. Just a thought, will update when I decide to get some more tests done(probably not anytime soon).
Yeah, me too.  Scary, because I saw my usual eye doc (at Costco) and told her about my right eye not adjusting to darkness right away.  It does adjust *some* after a few minutes, but is still less... seeing.... than the left.  She asked how long it stayed that way and I (completely) guessed 2 or 3 minutes? (Turned out to be less than 30 seconds when I timed it.)  She said there IS a type of optical migraine, where one eye is blind (in the dark) -- but those migraines, she insists, last 20 minutes.  The other (horrifying) possibility she said was this type of night-blindness (in one-eye)  can be a symptom of oncoming Parkinson's.  (EEK!)

She sent me to an ophthalmology-neurologist ($1,000 for the visit!!  And I have no insurance.)   This doc set me on a machine that tests "field of vision" (teeny blinking lights appearing randomly in various places in a dark field) -- and both eyes rated 'superior' -- so she decided it was probably a migraine (but I've never have had anything like a migraine!).  She also tried to send me for a CAT scan, but I can't afford one.

I did find, on self-experimentation, that my red clock-light is visible to both eyes when I turn off the room light.   Moonlight, the dim light from the computer room glowing into the bedroom, a partially blocked blue-white light on the CD player -- my right eye starts out unable to see, but over several minutes, those lights become (barely) visible, still much dimmer than with the left eye.  No glaucoma symptoms, no Parkinson's symptoms {gulp}, nothing else I have been able to identify as a possibility.

This is an ongoing worry. No family history of eye problems (whew).  Is it diabetes-related: I'm pre-diabetic; glucose levels in the high 90s, very-low 100s)?  Age-related:  I'm only 56?  Glaucoma without other symptoms (i.e., the non-high-eye-pressure kind)?  God-forbid, actually an early sign of Parkinson's?!?  

I'm going to try raising my Vitamin A intake some, to see if it makes a difference. I do take Lutein, which is preventative for macular degeneration, and lots of Vitamin D3.

Treating my adrenals made my eyes WAY WAY less sensitive to bright lights.  (I used to joke that if I went outdoors without my sunglasses my eyes would bleed! They didn't, but oooh the bright sunlight hurt!)  Now, I CAN go out without sunglasses (I rarely do), but my right eye has a really hard time losing the ghosting and bright spots when I come back into the darker house.

Frustrating to not have anyone able to help!
Same thing has happened to me...about once a year for the past few years. Usually it happens when I wake up in the middle of the night or from a deep nap. It is always the eye that is pressed against the pillow when I sleep (generally the right eye). I can't see out of it at all but my other eye is totally fine. Last time it happened it was at night but it has happened once in the early am as well.  I also have a larger lymph node on the right side of my neck underneath my chin (to the right of my trachea). I am in my mid-20s but I have narcolepsy without cataplexy so I am wondering if that has something to do with it. I am interested in hearing what other people's eye doctors have said about it if anyone gets a clear answer. I asked my optometrist when i went for a routine check up today and he said that the problem is outside of his realm of knowledge and I should call an ophthalmologist if it happens again.
Hey Lizs,
I should have mentioned that I first noticed this after reading, lying on my side, for a half hour before I shut the lights to go to sleep.   However, mine is NOT related to the side that is on the pillow; it's the right eye only, regardless of whether I'm reading lying on my right or left side. It has not gotten worse (or better) over time. Am going to the eye doc soon for a check-up, maybe she'll have another idea.
Any final diagnosis and explanation?
Hi all,

I'm currently experiencing this too! It's when I wake up in the middle of the night and go to the bathroom and notice my eye sight is almost gone in one eye.  It's happened a few times now so I'm trying to keep track of it now to see which eye (last time right eye) and how long etc as I know they'll ask.  I was starting to really worry as couldn't find anything on the internet- so glad I'm not the only one though.  I am quite badly short sighted and wear contacts or glasses.

If someone can please share anymore diagnosis I'd be very greatful!

Thank you.
Hi All,

It's actually a relief to find this thread.  I'm in the UK and also have the same problem with the same eye, the right one and for around 30 seconds.  I have seen both an Optician and a doctor, neither of them could find anything wrong.  The Optician suggested it could be how I head my head on the pillow.  If anything, it's getting worse, it's not painful, but it's not normal.  I'm female and 43.  I also have tinitus, I'm not sure if it's connected in any way...keep sharing!
i'm having the same problem...right eye and d doc didn't see anything :( it very scary
This just happened to me for the first time last night.  It was the left eye for me.  It really was scary, but finding this post made me feel much better.  I think the curtain over the eye analogy describes my experience perfectly.  
had that last night for the first time!  Laying down, turned light out, blind in right eye. Turned light on, fine kind of foggy gray for a second.  After awhile it adjusted fine to dark.  This week, eyeball pressure, twitching in right eye.  I have a history of neurological weirdness that Mayo clinic and others have not been able to pin point. Latest news from them is possible small fiber neuropathy since my sweat test was below normal in the autonomic nervous system test.  ?? curious.  
I have this problem for years now. I  noticed it when we had a  blackout in our house and I had to walk out from my room to outside. I felt as if something is blocking my right eye.I couldn't see at all in my right eye. I lost my balance and almost fell on the stair because I couldn't see well. I had to cover my right eye and keep walking using my left eye only. Now, I keep having the same problem at night when I turn off the light or when I go to very dimly lit places.
I can only see the bright light of the moon and it's not as bright as I could see it in my left eye.
I'm 27 and I don't have any diseases. I recently found out I have vitamin D and calcium deficiency and I'm taking supplement for about a month now. But I don't think that has anything to do with it.
I haven't checked with a doctor about my eye problem yet, and now I think I will most probably get the same answers as everyone since they only test our eyes using light.
This is exactly what I m feeling, it depends on the side pressed against the pillow, it freakes me out as I can't see from my one eye at all when I wake up in the middle of the night ! It's very disturbing for a few seconds till the vision gets clearer, I have sinus, and I think it's because of the mucus that gets accumulated around the forehead and ears..
Does anyone have any idea ?
I'm a 56 year old female, and have just started to notice the same problem of really diminished night vision in my right eye. I'm very near sighted, so I tried putting on my glasses to see if that resolved the problem, but it didn't.  It really worries me, but it sounds like all of the costly doctor visits haven't helped... So I guess I will just talk to my optometrist about at my next annual exam. And keep in touch with this discussion link.
Wow, this is both a relief and scary that so many people have the same problem.
Last night was the second time in my life.  I am 58 years old.
This morning I woke at around 3:00 a.m. and all I could see was a bright light (there were no lights on in the house) and total darkness around the light.  The light faded, but I could see nothing at all...and it was my right eye just like everyone else that has posted.
I sleep on my side and sometimes with my hand on my face. I am thinking that I had my hand over my eye and put too much pressure on it cutting off circulation and temporary blinding myself...but not real sure.
I do not have any health problems and see the doctor for regular check ups.
I am thinking that it must be how we sleep, and most people sleep on their right side.  Still it is very scary and I don't want it to happen again for fear that it will not go away and I will be blind.  Paranoid I guess.
This thread is amazing. I experienced night blindness in my right eye this afternoon after I woke up from my nap, and again just fifteen minutes ago when I was going to bed. It was so so scary but reading all the similar experiences kinda helped. I'm in a foreign country at the moment and it might be difficult to see a doctor here, so I hope I can get some updates on this condition from this thread. Thanks for all your contributions.
I am a medical student and I am experiencing the same thing. So I will try and get to the bottom of this!! In Denmark we have free health care, so after my exam on the 14th of January, I will try and unravel this mystery :)

For now, plz answer the following(and make sure they are truthful!)
-Do you have reduced vision but you do not wear glasses?
-Is your vitamin A intake below what it should be(And has anyone tired to increase their intake over a longer period of time say 2 month)?
Please read the link below which explains the scientific reasoning behind this phenomena.

I hope it helps:

http://scienceblogs.com/cognitivedaily/2008/05/15/how-to-make-your-eye-feel-like/
Racer thanks for taking the lead on this!  Both my 9 year old and myself have this problem. We both have accommodatiive esotropia (sp) , but i have just started having this over the last 2 or 3 years. She is 9 and just started having this last year.  I am close to  50.  
We both wear glasses. Not sure about the vit A levels.

I have asked both her Ped Ophthalmologist and mine and both just shrugged and had not real comment on it. They didn't seem to know what it is and were not very worried about it. Mine said "sometimes things just happen with our eyes".

Please let us know when you get an answer! Thanks.
My right eye does the same thing.  It happens predictably after I have been reading e-books with the light off.  When I shut the light off, I feel like a curtain is over it.  If I cover the right and read with the left, then shut the light off, there is slightly less vision in the left, but not to the same degree.  I have the screen on dim and the book set to sepia toned.  It was worse when the screen was bright.  I only got the ipad in September of 2012, and never had this problem before, even though I read lots of real books and used other computers (though not usually with the lights off).  Wonder if there may be an association with texting or computer use and the blindness in others?  One person above mentioned it happened after tv.
So I honestly think that this is simply my pupil taking longer to dilate.. This is probably year three of this.. I notice if I expose my eye to light again multiple times it immediately goes away.. Also if I close my right eye, letting my left eye absorb what little light there is in the room, then open my right I can see slightly more.. Doing this multiple times helps it readjust.. It happens so rarely that its hard to tell if something in my diet affects it... I live in the basement and have no alarm clock so there fore I believe those are irrelevant.. I wear contacts but this always occurs when I have taken them out.. For those of you who are terrified when its occurring, turn on a light allow your eyes to stay dilated for a while basically resetting your pupil.. Our vision is controled by our brain so sometimes it may need to be reset.. Hope this helps you guys.. Worrying isn't healthy
Does any one use retinol?
I am a 52 y-o female diabetic, vision unchanged for last 30 years.  Reading in bed w/e-reader about a year ago, I noticed when I turned off the light that the vision in my uppermost eye (right) had gone almost black.  (I had been lying on my left side while reading).  I absolutely freaked totally out.  I got up, cried, woke up my husband, etc.  The next day I was at my ophthalmologist's office as an emergent patient.  He could see nothing wrong.  Period.  As time has passed, I have had this happen more; and I have noticed that it happens in both eyes... always in the uppermost eye relative to which side I am lying.  It makes me wonder if the blood is draining away from the eye causing this problem.  There is no pain associated with this, but it just looks like an underexposed photograph or as so many of you have described, a shade drawn down.  There is a huge difference in the amount of light that is able to get through.  However, if I sit up and let my eyes adjust, they will finally correct themselves, and my vision will be normal again.  I have excellent doctors, and nobody knows what this is.  I have not thought about vitamin A, but I do know that I have been diagnosed with low vitamin D so my doctor has me on supplements for that the past couple months and orders to get sun.  But this vision thing started long before that.... and I get regular blood work drawn and see the doctors on a regular basis.  I am near-sighted and do wear glasses although I am beginning to need some readers if that helps, racerbil1.  Thank you for doing research into this problem.  
I'm not alone!!
Female, 23, right eye almost blind in the dark. And also has the feeling that is something there, like bluring my sight. First i thoght that my lid was falling, but turning the lights on, everything was ok!!
It doens't have anything to do with the side i'm lying on and I also noticed that my right pupil is slightly smaller during these"episodes";
It must mean something, even if meaningless..
Wow!! Amazing that so many of us have this yet no explanation. I am near sighted i wear glasses. Cant be the side I slept on because I'm batteling insomnia tonight. I have recently went to see my eye Dr and he said everything was normal. My mother has always said she had night blindness an I've noticed it much harder to drive @ night so I try not to. Don't know if this is wat mom was talking @. Also don't know  my vitamin A levels, but did just have blood work done to test for hoshimoto's an all my levels were normal. There were several things listed on those results, not sure if vitamin A was one of those.
This has happened to me probably 8-10 times, since the first weekend in January, each time it has happened, it has been when I'm in a dark room laying on my left side reading my e-book or looking at my smart phone, as soon as I shut it off I immediately feel the feeling, which I can only describe as my eye feeling "dead". If covering my left eye I can see nothing from my right eye, if I have a very dim light, like looking out my bedroom window, it looks a sepia color, but if I open both eyes or look only from my left eye it looks normal.  I also have noticed that the darkening or sepia color is directly in the center of my vision and I can almost see more looking left or right.  If I turn on the light it immediately goes away and I can see fine while the light is on, but I still have the "weird" sensation in the right eye.  This last between 15 and 20 minutes.

The first time it happened I went to the ER as I thought I was going blind, they did a CT which was normal and said I had an ocular migraine, it happened again one month later, this time I went to the Neurologist who said he thought it was weird that it was only one eye, he thought it might be an ocular migraine other than I didn't have a headache, so he did an MRI, which showed nothing, again one month later it happened again and I went to the Ophthalmologist who did a very thorough exam and found nothing, I'm following up with him in two weeks for a re-check, and I found this blog after it happened again last night and emailed it to my provider, he thought it was interesting that so many others were experiencing the same thing.  The neurologist mentioned that it may be related to hormones because it happens the week following my menstrual cycle.

I do think reading all these comments that many same as I have this in the right eye (some when laying on their left), it happens when turning off an electronic device that has back lighting (TV, Phone, Kindle), it lasts on average 15-25 minutes, it was diagnosed by others as an ocular migraine, although I truly do not believe that is what it is... I think it is night blindness, but would be interested to read about the parkinson's as my grandfather had that... also I had twitching for several months in my right eye prior to the first "blindness" episode which I see someone else had as well.

You should seek out an Eye Specialist for eye dialation.  I experienced the same things and was diagnosed with Papilledema and Pseudotumor Cerebri.  Mine was related to being on birth control pills.  If I can lose 20 lbs., I should be able to go off of the medicine that they prescribed (a generic of Diamox).  My condition started with ocular migraines and then losing vision in the early morning in my right eye for 20-30 seconds.  Good luck!    
I have had the same exact symptoms...right-eye night blindness.  I went to my eye doctor for my yearly check up and mentioned this phenomenon with no avail.  I feel better hearing everyone's story but think I may need further examination.
31 f. I have been getting this in my left eye for maybe the last 3 years. It happens to me straight after i turn out the lights. The difference in both eyes is drastic. I am almost completely blind in my left eye, unable to make out any shapes or shadows even. It adjusts after about a minute but it's not a nice thing to have to go through and can be quite scary. It really does feel like there's a veil of fog covering your eye. It's good to know i'm not on my own but i cannot believe that it is so common and yet still the medical community knows nothing about it. Hopefully we will get our answers soon :)
18 /m/ uk/ How is this happening to so many people and doctors and opticians cant figure it out? everything ive read here is what im experiencing. i thought i was going blind with all this info ive read on the internet. but now i find this and it seems like a phenomenon. eases the fear but still not knowing what it is is scary.im going to show these posts on my next appointment. i'll pray for us all c:
Guys the article posted by grizzywow made me think the reason why it COULD happen

(here it is)
BlankReply

i have same problem as you guys but it might not necessarily be a problem. Ocular dominance, for a lot of people one eye is more dominant than the other so you might actually be focusing with one eye more without realizing, causing one eye to be more dilated than the other. those saying there in bed on phone, e book, tv then turn of lights and the notice they are almost blind or whatever, one of your eyes could be more focused than the other,your right eye focusing where your reading/looking and your left eye looking not focusing and just taking in light around you not at a certain point like your right eye,making your left eye more dilated than the other and your right eye less dilated because its more focused at a certain point therefore when the light is switched off, one eye is already more dilated,making it more ready for darkness while your other dominant eye has to adjust from the a focal point and into darkness causing one eye to be darker than the other. I am in no way claiming to be an expert like a doctor or optician but after trying what that article said in the link, my left eye ended up being darker while my right eye was normal (vice versa).so i came up with that. and since we have a dominant eye throughout our life the one that focuses on everything thats why it only happens in one eye, it could be A POSSIBLE reason maybe.

this kind of backs up what im talking about. but i still highly recommend going to an optician or doctor,i got myself an appointment,if they cant find anything like for a lot of you guys, i'll ask if my 'theory' lol is a possibility
18/m/uk

http://*****************/question/index?qid=20111016034240AAy4vTG
heres what it says

"Don't Panic! This is not unusual, since quite often, before you turn out the light, the light in the room is shining more brightly into one or other of your eyes. For example, if the light source is in the left side of the room, then the iris in your left eye will contract slightly more than the iris in the right eye, so when you turn off the light, the right eye will allow more light in than the left eye, until the iris readjusts. It may also be possible that each of your eyes has a slightly different sensitivity to light, which is usually nothing to worry about, however if it is really bothering you, go and see an ophthalmologist since it can also be an early symptom of cataracts. Still don't panic. Cataract operations are routinely performed these days."
I am having the same problem In the day time as well in left eye i can see well but left eye vision a little weak and dim this scares me alot .
OMG!  I'm so relieved to find this website.

Ok, here is my story.  I got that weird sensation too.  I experienced it last night when I went to bed.  It happened right after I was on the computer.  The setting on my laptop is very bright.  I signed off, then walked down the hallway turning off the lights.  I got into bed, and I felt that weird sensation on my left eye.  I did feel like something was over my eye.  I could still see out of it, but it felt like if I were to see my eye while this episode was happening, I would have stripes on my eye.  If I blinked, it would go away.  It lasted about 10 seconds.  I've actually had that happen to me maybe once or twice before today right after I turned the TV off.  I noticed this happened after I bought my HD TV.  My computer is also HD, so I figured it was the light of the high definition and my eyes trying to adjust to it.

After it happened last night, I thought I would try to look it up, and I found all of you experiencing the same thing.  I never thought to cover one eye though.  I guess I'll try that next time, but I could see out of both eyes, just not as clearly out of my left eye.

Thanks for all your inputs.  I guess I'll mention it when I see my doc.  I'm in the process of switching doctors.
i suffer from this, happens quite often but i've never thought much or dwelled on it despite the fact being blind in one eye really is a big deal. My first occurrence was 4 years ago (i only remember because i was in London having started a new job in Canary Wharf)

i listen to audio when i go to sleep, using my phone connected to my pillow. Its in my left eye and occurs when i'm in darkness and selecting audio from my phone (obv its quite bright) so when the light goes out, the blindness occurs.

I really should have mentioned it when i last got my eyes tested - but last two check ups found no issue. I will mention it next week when registering with a new GP and see what they say. Was interesting to note a reference above to Crohn's as i am a sufferer of that, as well as being 31 M, N.Irish

I have the same problem with my right eye going very dark at night time and left eye is ok!!! Scares the heck outta me when it happens. Just before all I saw was I giant white spot in my eye as I tried to look around!!! Turned on the light and everything is normal again!!!! I went to the eye dr md and he said everything looks just fine.
I can't believe how common this is....when I described it to anyone else they thought I was nuts!!  Mine is always in my right eye.  I also went to my eye doctor who ran a bunch of tests and said my eyesight was perfect. My concern was that I has LASIK surgery done about 8 years ago and I was worried it was related to that. I also experience blurriness in my right eye at night.

I have also noticed that the blindness happens most often when I am lying on my side, reading, then turn off the light. Like many said, comforting to know I'm not lone, but still frustrating to not know.
Same thing happened to me.  Right eye night time blindness - doctor had nothing for me.  A friend at work said that it was Aspartame poisoning.  I laughed at first but at the the time all I drank was diet coke (literally) I cut that back but had the problem again last night.  Wondering if we all have Aspartame in our diet....?
I am a 42 year old female.  Just had this happen to me this morning.  I woke up from sleeping and felt like my right eye was covered.  I could only see out my left eye for about 5 minutes.  I went in to the restroom because I was so scared that I was going blind. When I turned on the light I could see just fine.  When I turned off light again it was black with my right eye but could see with my left, but after a few minutes could see fine. It is strange that so many people have this happen and with the same eye.
Hi guys, This happens to me to. Only in my left eye, always while resting in bed (every day now for the past two months) and does not disappear if i turn on the light..
My boyfriend's father had the exact same problem, and after making a  scene at the doctors office when the doctor told him everything was OK, he was rushed to the hospital and refused to leave till they found out what was the problem. Eventually, they found out there was a blood vessel in his neck, which leads blood to the eye, was clogged (found by M.R.I.). The reason this happens only during rest is because at rest your blood pressure is lower, and the blood does not have the energy to flow through the clogged vessel.
He had to go through surgery to open the vessel, and now it does not happen to him any more.
Now the doctor has also sent me to many different tests.
28 years old and i have the exact same problem. Started about 4 months ago. Its my right eye also that goes dark after the light is cut out. Glad to know its common still curious as to what causes it.
Same thing has happened to me. failed vision field test. now doing mri. Prolactin levels were high. thinking its a pituitary tumor which is very common and diagnosed. tumor can put pressure on optic nerve. ophthalmologist cant see that far back into brain.