one-time night blindness in one eye
Hi everyone,

To start with, I'm a 20 year old healthy female. I few nights ago something really strange happened to me when I turned out the light to go to sleep. A few minutes after I turned the light off, when my eyes should have adjusted to the dark, something didn't seem right with my vision. So I covered my left eye with my hand, leaving my right eye open, and everything went pitch black. I couldn't see anything out of my right eye. With my left eye I could see the shapes and shadows that you can usually make out in a dark room, but out of my right eye was just total pitch blackness. I turned my light back on, and everything was completely normal; I could see with both eyes. Then I turned the light out again, and once again, I had vision in my left eye but not in my right.

This happened a few nights ago, and it hasn't happened again since. This is probably irrevelant but I thought I'd mention it- I have a couple of enlarged lymph nodes as well as a swollen tonsil on the right side of my neck/head that have all been checked out by a doctor. I also have a new lump on the top of my head, also on the right side. As I said, this is probably all irrevelant to the vision problem, but I thought that maybe since all of this is on the right side of my head, which is the same side as the problem eye, it could somehow be involved.
Does anyone have any ideas of what could cause one-time temporary night blindness in one eye? Thank you for reading!
Same thing has happened to me. failed vision field test. now doing mri. Prolactin levels were high. thinking its a pituitary tumor which is very common and diagnosed. tumor can put pressure on optic nerve. ophthalmologist cant see that far back into brain.  
This happened to me the second time last night. I described it as a curtain over my eye. Since both times it was after having sex then going to bathroom with a Brite list,  I thought it may have been related to sex or even blood flow.
I am also having the same sort of issue, always at night and always right eye, I also have Schisis and the Eye Specialist has sent for me to have a CT scan which is today :-) fingers crossed I should haver the results in a few weeks

Tracy
Me too. Always at night right when I turn the light off and always my right eye. But it's only the right half of my right eye???!!!
I've been going through the same thing; right eye when lying on my left side after turning out the lights. It's happened about 6 times in the last two months. So far, I've gone to an optimologist (nothing, but he seems to think it has more to do with blood vessels than my eyes), and did a CT scan of my brain (haven't gotten results yet). Luckily, I've found a doctor who seems very interested in this case, because she's also prescribed me an echogram, and if she doesn't find anything there will them send me to a opto-neurologists.
Trust me, if I figure this out on my end, I'll be sure to keep everyone updated!
I had the same thing with my right eye once last month but I woke up with a blood shot spot in the right eye and had severe headache,  cough and fever 102.4 a week prior to the event..I saw my doctor and he diagnosed me with acute bronchitis and referred me to ophthalmologist who said she  suspected  I had Optical Migraine since all the eye test were normal but she could not be sure. I do wear glasses for reading purposes as I have what is known as old eyes (I am 44 yrs old).I am currently taking vitamin D supplements (1 per week).  I have other issues such as calf, knee and hip pain intermittently but I have no idea if these are in any ay related to the eye problem. My doctor has not suggested a CAT scan as yet but we'll see what he says when I go for my follow up as I have not ben to see him since  I went to the ophthalmologist on Friday. Will keep every one posted
I too have experienced my left eye having issues adjusting from light to dark at night and in the day going from a dimmer interior to bright sunlight, to the point I have to cover my eyes. When I was in Junior high my father took me to see a neuroopthamologst who didn't diagnose me with anything but believed it had something to do with my rods and cones. Anyway, after coming upon your posts a few days ago it was constantly on my mind to figure this out. A short while ago I was doing my searches and ran into something and am almost 100% positive this is the issue we are ALL dealing with in some shape or fashion: Retinitis Pigmentosa. Look it up and you will see the symptoms and descriptions match to a tee. Let me know if this helps anyone!
First of all I am happy to have found this site...I started having this problem about a year ago.  I would be watching something on my tablet...while the lights are dim or off in my room.  When I take my eyes off of the screen, its like I have a shadow in my eye but it adjusts itself after a while.  I told my eye dr about this.  He told me that its like a delay in the brain with the picture I was looking at????  Really?  I dont think so...I am not a tv where you can still see the picture after you turn it off...lol..Well, if anyone learns of anything new, please post on here!!
So someone know diagnostics ? Why it is happening and what causes night spot in eye.. ?
interesting - so many people with these issues.   My situation is a bit different, since I am amblyopic.  I am right-eye dominant, with permanent blurred 20/400 vision in the left eye.  several nights in a row now I have turned out the lights with only my alarm clock light showing in a dark room.  If there is a little ambient light, everything is hazy/foggy and very hard to make out.  If there is no other light, it's like I can't see anything in front of my face.  but I can see the digits on the clock quite clearly when I look over at it.  Turn the lights on and everything is perfectly normal.   I haven't noticed any night driving issues or other diminished vision than that.  Scared me for sure, since I can only rely on the one eye for my vision.  I will visit the doc to see what they say, but given other posts might be tough to get a meaningful explanation.
This happened to me last night as well.  I am a pre-diabetic over 40 female.  Any others on this site with a similar Dx?  I wonder if it a metabolic problem.
I've also had the same thing but having had a retinal detachment where I did lose my vision (thankfully now restored), that's the first thing that comes into my head thinking it's happening again in the other eye.. I have a had habit of looking at a screen in bed before I go to sleep - usually an iPad, and of course it's backlit. When I turn the lights off my right eye - the one that hasn't had the RD - often feels like it's gone blind which is scary since I'm very dependent on it! I have to put the lights back on to reassure myself that I haven't got another detachment. I can't help wondering whether looking at a backlit screen is causing the problems. If one eye is dominant - as my good eye is - then that would explain why I get the temporary night blindness in that eye. It goes off after about 5 minutes and returns to normal, but is alarming all the same.  I did mention it to a health professional a while ago and they said it's quite normal as we get older (I'm 57), but I don't know the scientific explanation. I'll see whether I get the same thing if I just read a normal book without the backlighting.
same problem (right eye and I sleep on my left side) first time last night I woke up and my right eye felt like a curtain over it so I went to the bathroom and looked in the mirror both eyes were open but like a heavy fog in my right eye it took about five minutes to come back I,m 63 by the way but it was scary at first.
I'm a 23 year old healthy male, I experience this problem too, and it only happens when i shut off the light in my bedroom to continue reading on my cell phone, then when i turn the light back on my right eye sees much darker than left as if there's a tinted glass in the middle of it.

After some research I concluded my own little theory: I do not think it's an eye disease. it's not a disease because nothing physical has changed in the right eye, otherwise the physicians would have observed it.

I do believe this has to do with which eye we use more. For instance, when you use a camera with a view finder (that small window to see through), which eye do you close sub-consciously? To me it's the right. another scenario is that I always close my right eye and use my left eye to see through the pin hole on the door. I have no explanation why i choose to do that, i just do that. (same reason I use mainly my right hand). My left eye is more short-sighted than my right, and i think that's because I ride it harder than my right.

Now here comes my hypothesis. Because my left eye is the one i use more often, and when i lay in bed holding my phone super close to my eyes, my left eye is functioning so much more than the right to the point my right eye might even shut down for a while. it could only happen in situations like this because when the object is so close and so bright to my eyes, they don't both have to work in order to create depth (this would also explain why many of you experience this after reading a book/watching tv/browsing on cellphone in the dark because these surfaces are flat). So after my brain adjusts to seeing from only one eye even though i think i've been using both, then when i turn on the light all of a sudden, the one that's been working will adjust right away (hence the left eye can see well), while the idle one takes a little while to start up and absorb light again. in other words, this would be a huge problem if it doesn't go away, but a few minutes after i turn on the light both of my eyes can see well again.

I am no medical doctor but this is the conclusion i'm willing to adjust since no real MD has given us an answer yet. If any of you find an explanation please post here.
I am a 60-year-old female who spends excessive time on my computer. A few nights ago I suddenly went blind in my left eye. I had just turned off my bedroom light, when I noticed I could not see the lights on my alarm clock or any light the hallway. I covered my right eye and saw nothing but blackness.  ( I never turned on the bedroom light so I do not know if my vision would have returned had I switched on the light) By the time my husband went to bed, I could see with my left eye. I went to an eye doctor who could not find anything wrong. I asked if computer use could have cased the blindness. He said no--just double vision and blurriness. (I have experienced these symptons many times with prolonged use.)I went to my family doctor and she has scheduled 6 tests: brain MRI, ultrasound of my heart, ultrasound of the arteries in my neck, blood work, and two other heart tests. I am a cancer and heart patient, but I think computer use caused the temporary blindness. There are just too many young people on this forum for me to think this blindness ( occurring at the moment that a light is turned off )  is caused by a heart problem or cancer.  But everyone on this forum should consider blindness a medical emergency. If I learn that my blindness was caused by a blood clot, I will post again in 2 weeks.  
I too have transient (lasting several seconds) monocular (always my left eye-only) vision loss. It's always at night or after a nap. It's total vision loss, then slowly returns. Very scary!!!  I have other auto-immune problems so my doctor thought MS almost immediately. However, I went to a neuro-ophthalmologist for a full battery of tests. My optic nerve was fine, which was a big relief as this is usually the case when it's related to MS. I was then referred to a neurologist and he ordered a non-contrast MRI. No lesions appeared. I'm curious if a contrast MRI would have been better?  Anyway, the doctor said it's probably just an ocular migraine. I still am not comfortable with this diagnosis as the symptoms are so specific. I'm slicked that so many others have this!  It still happens on occasion. I also have pain behind that eye. It's blurry during the day at times as well. It has to be something?  There are times it's completely gone. Sometimes that eye twitches as well. When you google these exact symptoms it says MS all over the place. That still scares me. Especially considering I have autoimmune problems already. One last thing, I too, as a few have mentioned, sleep on the same side as the eye problem. As a matter of fact, I wonder if its circulatory in nature, as I've woken up sleeping on my eye...  It hurts after I wake up and is very blurry...
I've been aware of this issue for at least 10 years; I am a healthy 44 yo male and have been a sporty person all my life. When I wake up in the middle of the night the vision in my right eye is a lot darker than the vision in my left. When it happened for the first time it was really disorienting and frightening. Now I just live with it. It happens every time, but I do not walk around in the middle of the night all that often. Like many people here I've had a full battery of standard tests that found nothing wrong (UK, NHS, Moorfields Eye Hospital no less). Would love to have the correct diagnosis though. It makes you think, what do most doctors know and how much do they really care? For completeness I am slightly myopic L 0.25; R 0.75. I do not wear my glasses much but using them makes no difference either way for my night vision.
And yet another person (57 yr. old female).  This started about 3-4 months ago, woke up in middle of night to use restroom (I do this most nights) noticed a hazy darkness in right eye, closed just that eye and left eye could see normally for me (I am very near-sighted and I do not put my glasses on to use restroom).  ONLY happens at this time of night, most nights, sometimes almost completely blind-occasionally happens in left instead of right eye.  Saw optometrist, glaucoma test-all good.  Saw Opthamologist, he says all good.  It is very disturbing as it doesn't seem to be normal and this thread has not seemed to have anyone receive any 'clarity' (no pun intended:)
An explanation I hope helps:
1) Close one eye. 2) Cup your palm over the open eye and stare forward... you'll see darkness/black 3)Open the closed eye. You'll notice the eye covered that was seeing black is not seeing "anything". Stare forward and you'll really notice it. The darkness you see at the rim of the inner eye/nose is from the other open eye. 4) You experience this every time you close one eye actually, you just never really notice. The brain concludes that because one eye is "seeing" light the other must be false data and just ignores it.

So any of you lying on a pillow or that sleep on your side this could be it.
Geeeee wizz.....  I woke up this morning and almost sh@t myself...  I was totally blind in my right eye.. Well apart from being able to see this very bright white light but nothing else.

After the initial shock...  I opened & closed my eyes again repeatedly trying to get my vision in that eye back to normal. It seemed to take for ages but I suppose it was only a minute or two before my vision returned. It wasnt perfect when it did return though... It was blurred for another 5 minutes after that.

Ive only recently had a full eye test too and my eyes where found to be fine (well apart from my usual short-sightedness for which I have glasses)

I really hope this doesn't happen again as its initially very concerning indeed.  
Thank godness I'm not alone either!

I recently detected this problem too (in my right eye...), but I'm fearing it might be linked to the fact that I recently increased my intake of sugar (not good, I've got to admit, but I'm already lowering the amount !).

I guess it just happened one night when I turned the lights off, and I kind of felt like my sight was "wrong", and I closed my right eye, then the left one and I noticed that my right eye had gone completely blind!
I tried giving it some time, while lying face up (since I know sometimes lying on one side can affect our sight since we deform the eyeball..), but after maybe 5 minutes, it didn't really change...

I'm going to the ophtalmologist tomorrow, and I'll see what he tells me ! I mean, I use glasses and my eyesight is actually really bad, but I mean, I'm not blind either..

Just for the record, I'm 19 years old and (as far as I know) I'm completely healthy...

It still doesn't take away the feeling that this is all very strange, since people from all ages suffer from this :/ and yet, no one seems to know the real reason behind it >.<!!
I have just discovered this forum. Those contributing might be interested in this one which comes up if you Google   celiac night vision   or click on
www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/102373-celiac-night-vision
I thought the symptom was unique but some of the descriptions here do seem to overlap!
36 yo. male, had my first episode last night. Right eye went nearly blind after I turned off the lights and laid down to sleep. After I got up and turned the lights back on it went normal; turned them off and still could find some difference between the eyes, but after a while my night vision too got back to normal.

From the comments above the closest thing to a diagnosis is intra-cranial swelling leading to a squeezing of the optic nerve and/or the eye, any other explanations?
I'm a 20y/o African female with the same problem. I went to get my eyes checked (including for retinal detachment) but the optometrist said everything looked fine. Praying there's no problem!
This problem does not have to be serious.  Especially if you were reading or in bed with a bright light on one side. The eye nearest the light would have more visual chemical (visual purple) blanched than the light away from the eye. When the light was turned off it would take the eye nearest the light longer to adjust to dim light or total darkness.

There are some diseases such a retinitis pigmentosa that severely affect the night vision but it should have been visible to the ophthalmologist.

JCH MD
Reading this forum has made me both relieved and scared.  Early parkinson's?  Retinitis pigmentosa, which usually leads to loss of central and peripheral vision?  OMG!  I think it's made me even more neurotic, having me constantly check my left and right vision.  I have slightly different symptoms than most.  While most seem to have issues with the right eye, mine occur on the left side.  It happens quite frequently actually, whenever I am about to go to bed and shut the light on my nightstand off.  I also don't experience complete blindness/darkness.  Mine is more like a film/filter over my left eye.  I can still see shapes, etc., but it's like you're looking through a brown filter or brown fog.  The situation immediately resolves itself when I turn on the light.  I have gone to a neuro-ophthamologist and all the preliminary tests (field vision, pressure, retina detachment, etc.) came back fine.  She has sent me to a cardiologist to make sure everything is fine and will do a carotid duplex ultrasound next week to determine if my blood flow is normal.  I am highly myopic (-10 on both eyes) and so it may be dealing with that.  I also have neck issues with what seems like a knot at the bottom of my skull.  Maybe it is dealing with that (the duplex ultrasound should help determine if the knot is creating restricted blood flow).  I am hoping and praying that this condition is something that can be treated and fixed.  I would hate to be diagnosed with something as grim as retinitis pigmentosa and witnessing my vision get worse and worse every day.  I will update this forum as I go on.  I have noted all the possible diagnosis suggested on here and will bring them up to my doctor.  

For whatever it is worth, I come from a family with doctors.  My best friend is an optometrist.  I spoke to her about my symptoms and she said that they are very non-specific.  She said I shouldn't worry about it, but being the hypochondriac that I am, I know it's not normal.  I want to be more proactive about it, especially since it is dealing with my one and only vision.  I have spoken to my cousin, who is an ER physician, and he said not to worry about it either.  Eyes sometimes have a hard time adjusting to light.  

As a warning though, it is NOT normal for total blindness to occur regardless of lighting conditions.  If you are experiencing any sort of vision loss despite turning the lights on/off, especially if you're experiencing numbness/weakness in one side of your body or slurred speech, you should go to the ER, that is usually a sign of a stroke.  
Force:   Almost impossible that your hare retinitis pigmentosa (RP).  RP is an easy diagnosis to make in most cases, the changes in the retina are profound, the symptoms don't match yours or what's posted in most of this discussions, is associated with severe night blindness, is constant and progressive.

I think your OD friend and ER cousins are spot on.

JCH MD
I have had night blindness a few times now. I havent kept track of the eye that goes &quot;blind&quot; but this time I can tell how it happened. After reading the doctor&#x27;a response I feel a little relieved but Im not so sure if it is a normal thing. I was lying in bed on my tummy and the room is completely dark except that there is some light from coming from a window but almost nothing. I was reading my phone with just my right eye (with my head turned to the right, still lying on my tummy). Then I turned the screen off and tried to grab some water from my bedside table and noticed this happened away. My vision was way darker on my right eye. This has happened more than 3 times already maybe. It takes me a lot to see the same on both eyes. Is this really normal? :/... Thanks a lot!
I have had night blindness a few times now. I havent kept track of the eye that goes "blind" but this time I can tell how it happened. After reading the doctor's response I feel a little relieved but Im not so sure if it is a normal thing. I was lying in bed on my tummy and the room is completely dark except that there is some light from coming from a window but almost nothing. I was reading my phone with just my right eye (with my head turned to the right, still lying on my tummy). Then I turned the screen off and tried to grab some water from my bedside table and noticed this happened away. My vision was way darker on my right eye. This has happened more than 3 times already maybe. It takes me a lot to see the same on both eyes. Is this really normal? :/... Thanks a lot!
You do of course Lizc3 need to see an ophthalmologist or optometrist for a baseline eye exam. However what you describe can be explained by having one eye exposed to more light than the other, like a reading light on one side. When you turn the lights off the side nearest the light will have the worse vision and take the longest to see normal in the dark. This is due to the fact that the visual pigments the  eyes sees with are bleached out by the light on one side more than the other.  That side will take longer to shift from the light vision system of the retina (photopic vision) to the night vision system (scotopic)

JCHMD
I just wanted to update the forum about my condition.  I did go see an ophthalmologist who did all the tests possible within an office setting.  I have a family history of Fuch&#x27;s disease and am very myopic, which increases my chances for retinal tears.  Everything came back normal.  I do have neck problems and headaches, so it was recommended that I go do an MRA/MRI of my neck and brain to see if blood flow was normal.  If you can afford it, definitely do an MRI/MRA as it looks at all the arteries in your brain/neck, if not, you may see if you can do an doppler ultrasound, which studies the main carotid arteries.  Everything came back normal, except that they found I had severe sinusitis, which I was referred to an ENT for.  That could be the problem with my headaches.  I will also go see a physical therapist/acupuncturist to see if that will help.  Back to topic, my ophthamologist recommended that I moisturize my eyes as much as possible.  So she gave me some Refresh Liquid Gel drops to take before bed.  I found that has helped.  I have not had the issue since my appointment (cross fingers), so we will see.....   My recommendation through this ordeal is to do all you can to rule out any &quot;major&quot; conditions and, if not, follow common sense.  Get a good night sleep (I find that my condition tends to flare up when I don&#x27;t sleep full 8 hrs), moisturize your eye as possible, especially in this computer age, and kind of wait and see.  Hope this helps anyone!
Thanks for the follow up information.
I am shocked that so few ophthalmologist seem to know or understand this phenomenon.  My left eye often goes COMPLETELY blind after I read or work on a computer for extended time.  I have mono-vision with my left eye dominant for near vision and it becomes light saturated when I read or do computer work.  My distance-dominant right eye sometimes even closes the eyelid during that time, since it is not being used while I work on a computer or read at night. When I turn off the lights, the left eye blindness lasts for a long time and I can't see anything at all from that eye...which is quite disturbing.  Of course if I turn the light back on it is fine. So, clearly it isn't a detached retina, or a stroke or a macular hole since all of those conditions would not improve with turning the light back on. I've had all the usual eye exams finding nothing at all wrong.  This blog was very helpful. http://scienceblogs.com/cognitivedaily/2008/05/15/how-to-make-your-eye-feel-like/  Luckily, I found it before I had CT scans etc etc.
I am a pre-diabetic over 40 female, extremely nearsighted (wear glasses or contacts), and just had this happen to me for the first time last night. Just the right eye, like a blurred/grayed out cloud in the middle of my visual field in the right eye, but it went away if I turned on the lights, then came back when I turned lights back off. A short time before, I had been looking at a very bright app on my phone screen, and then fell asleep briefly. My dog woke me up to go out, so it was very dark in the house, and that's when this "blur" in my right eye's vision occurred. Lasted about 5 minutes I'd guess.
Those symptoms would require an evaluation by an ophthalmologist and your family doctor or internist.  It could be a TIA (transient ischemic attack) and due to disease of heart, blood vessels, eye or brain. Please make appointments to have this checked out.
I am a 52 year old female who first noticed similar vision issues about 3 months ago. It has recurred fairly frequently over the three months.  It seems to be connected to using my mobile phone to read news / emails etc in the dark when in bed.  I switch off the phone and then cannot see out of my right eye (my dominant eye).  This lasts for a couple of minutes and then I seem to have adjusted to the darkness in both eyes.  

When it first happened I was advised to go to A&E and was seen by an ophthalmologist.  Also blood was taken for testing.  I was then referred to a neurologist and had more tests - including an MRI / MRA / ultrasound.  Everything was normal.  I was advised to take a daily aspirin - which I do. There was a concern that it was a 'eye-stroke' (TIA) or 'amaurosis fugax'.  I also have seen my optometrist due to usual check-ups for contact lenses and no issues were seen.

With all tests coming back clear and yet the issue repeating but only happening under a very specific set of conditions (use of bright phone in dark room) I believe that it is more likely to be an issue with my right eye adjusting to darkness from a bright light.

Reading other posts have helped me and I think that there is nothing sinister.  However, I would suggest that people are tested to rule out the possibility of medical issues first.

One more thought.  This stream of posts seem to be over recent years - when smart phones etc have become common use at night time.  I will keep an eye on this post and also I am going to not use my smart phone for four weeks at night and then use it again and see if I notice a pattern.

I'll keep you updated.
=
For anyone wondering, i can regularly do this by myslef in the dark. i have fully control over both eyes to do this. its just the way light is percepted and it gets altered. the color black is not actially a color its a lack of reflection of color so it can change in pitch darkness.
=
Dear John

Sorry to bother you but does the '=' sign mean anything?

Nightblindness
Mean's I've read the last question and have no comment.
Lat year I had this a couple of times over the course of 4 or 6 weeks. Each time, after turning off the light at night, my left eye was briefly blind, then gradually recovered vision (my bedroom is not all that dark). If I turned the light back on, my vision in that eye was normal. Frequency and severity gradually decreased and it then ceased completely. I had my eye/retina checked and it was found to be fine. The odd thing is that about 6 months later I first had symptoms of vitreous detachment in that eye which in turn caused a retinal detachment 10 days later. This makes me inclined to think that the original thing may have been some early symptom of the vitreous detachment (which is usually harmless). Ophthalmologists are not sure, as it seems to be quite a rare phenomenon. I'm female and 58.
Yes it would be extremely rare and my feeling is it was not an early symptom of a RD or PVD.

JCH MD
I had this too after reading on my iPad. I switched to sepia but it did not help.  After first episode I got a PVD and a Weiss ring floater.  I'd been to retina specialist and he said nothing could be done but I went to California and got floater zapped with laser. They did say 90 % that right eye would ge PVD too.
Last night I got the right eye not adjusting to dark and feeling of blindness after reading on iPad.  The retina specialist did say I had cobbling of the retina.  I wonder if these so called retina displays on the iPad could be damaging to the retina.  I'm 56 and had the first PVD ( Post Vitreal Detachment ) at 55. That's kind of young for this type of thing.  Makes me feel like I'm having a stroke.
IPads and iPhones and computers and video games do not damage the eye or cause PVDs but can cause eye fatigue and discomfort and is causing a worldwide increase of myopia. so much so that by 20/50 it is estimated that half the world's population will be myopic
=
I think I've found the answer to this problem which I had exactly as described.. Also visited the opticians and an eye specialist who had no clue or decent advice. I had suspicion it might be something to do with looking at my phone on a night time whist in bed, it turns out I tend to use my right eye only when laying over the side of the bed with my left eye closed against the pillow. Afterwards when looking around the dark room my 'right' eye is blind no shapes, pitch black. After reading a link from someone posted of this  'phenomenon' regarding your eyes adapting to light and dark this has confimed it for me.. simply one eye has adapted to the light from scrolling through your phone or whatever and the other has attapated to the dark as it's probably closed. Explains why its is not always occurring and both are fine when the light comes back on.

Link - http://scienceblogs.com/cognitivedaily/2008/05/15/how-to-make-your-eye-feel-like/
=
I am 24 and i have been having the same thing happen to me everynight. At first it would go away after a few minutes,But now it stays for 30 or more. Has anyone gotten an answer on this yet? I would really like to know. Thank you.
=
Guys this is called

"Transient smartphone blindness"

most (not all) of the cases described above on this forum are related to lying on one side and not seeing clearly from the other eye. If you notice this next time, try to remember if you were using your smartphone /watching TV/ tablet just before it occurred.

It will occur in the DARK, while lying on one side and occluding that eye, while the other eye watches the BRIGHT screen of your phone. When you turn off your phone, the eye that was watching the screen has been BLEACHED. It can take up to half an hour for the vision in both eyes to equalise.

It's quite common for doctors to be baffled and send lots of Echo and EKG and CT and MRI scans.

It is largely benign.

Google "New England Journal of Medicine Transient Smartphone "Blindness""
=
=