Aa
A
A
Close
optic nerve damage
I had a pituicytoma @ 3 years ago, and the tumor created a groove in my optic nerve, leaving me blind in the left eye, and no periferal vision in my right. I have adjusted to some degree, with glasses, but am unable to drive. Being a salesman my entire career, has left me searching for other work. Anyhing I can do to help my brain "heal" this on its own? I was told that they are close to spinal cord replacements or regrowth, and when that is established, optic nerves will be next/ Thanks, Adam
Cancel
7 Answers
Page 1 of 1
233488 tn?1310696703
I would get a consultation from a neuro-ophthalmologist in the best medical school you can get to. These are generalizations: At present we cannot grow central nervous tissue back together brain/spinal cord. The optic nerve is part of the brain. Much research is under way, breakthroughs are possible anytime.

There are new techniques evolving to teach other brain areas to take over the function of tissue killed in the brain by strokes, tumors, injuries, etc. However these nerve "networks" are different than the optic nerve.

JCH MD
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Thank you. I did have my surgery at UPenn Hospital, with the head neurologist, and a Dr from Otorhinolaryngology. I will keep my fingers crossed.Adam
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
233488 tn?1310696703
Remember to protect the "good eye" from disease, injury and live a healthy lifestyle.
JCH MD
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
doctor narve optic block how to open eyes
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
233488 tn?1310696703
?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
my brother in aaccident lost right side eye other doctor say inside demage maybe block narve optic what i do please give me suggest
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
233488 tn?1310696703
I would get a consultation from a neuro-ophthalmologist in the best medical school you can get to. These are generalizations: At present we cannot grow central nervous tissue back together brain/spinal cord. The optic nerve is part of the brain. Much research is under way, breakthroughs are possible anytime.

There are new techniques evolving to teach other brain areas to take over the function of tissue killed in the brain by strokes, tumors, injuries, etc. However these nerve "networks" are different than the optic nerve.

Also protect the remaining eye from disease and injury

JCH MD
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources