optic nerve fibers
What are they symptoms of dead optic nerve fibers? Would you be able to notice them? Does it cause you to have tiny dark spot in your vision (kind of like floaters).
poor vision, poor color perception it totally dead blindness.

Early you may not notice.

Not at all like floaters.

JCH MD
Would a tiny black spot in your vision be a sign or symptom of dead optic fiber?
that is NOT a sign of optic nerve damage. Why not just go to the opthalmologist to have things checked out?
To clarify what Dr. Hagan said:

Early on, like with many glaucoma patients, optic nerve damage will not be noticed. However, eventually you will start to lose your vision. In primary open angle glaucoma the peripheral vision will gradually start to erode.
In some instances vision loss can occur much quicker. For instance after a combination vitrectomy/pneumatic retinopexy the insertion of the tamponading agent can cause a quick rise in IOP and damage the optic nerve within a very short time period leading to irreversible vision loss. This is why surgeons always monitor post-op patients closely and they are well informed of the symptoms should such an event happen.

Optic nerve damage does not resemble anything like a small black dot. Most often the nerve damage is extensive and will effect your whole vision.  Except in a few instances like the very early stages of POAG mentioned above you will notice a definite decrease in vision when there is optic nerve damage.The amount of vision you loss depends on the extent of the damage done to the nerve fibers.

Again, nerve damage does not in any way resemble floaters!!!
-
my brother lost his vision  april 2008 he was diagnosed with guillan barre syndrome and later began loosing his eye sight can he ever get his eye sight back.is their any chances of him seeing with time i know it will be 2yrs but is their any hope for him...what do you think about stem cells do you think they will work for him, do you recomend him to try it or no...is their any vitamins you recommend that are good for him to start regenerate his eye tissue..or restore his eye.. can you email me with response , very worried ***@**** thanks
i fell backwards and landed on my head, the optical nerve in my right eye broke.  i have gone to many specialist around the country and told they cannot repair this. in the MRI it is dark, it looks like i am looking through a little slit - or i have a fur ball, or hand in my eye, it is really bothersome.  years before i had lens replacement due from MRSA and antibiotics - is there anything that could be done so i could see better and not have the shadow - thank you.
consult with a neuro-ophthalmologist. Find one at www.aao.org   for totally dead fibers the options are few and far between now.

JCH MD