Eye Care Community
optic nerve
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

optic nerve

is a tilted optic nerve the same thing as elevated optic nerve?

thanks

Bruce
Related Discussions
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
No. tilted can be due to high myopia or anomoly. Its not elevated. An elevated is just what it sounds like. It can be normal such as in a far-sighted eye or due to things like buried drusen or pressure in the brain being too high (papilledema).

JCH MD
Blank
My Eye Doctor told me that I have tilted optic nerve in both eyes. I'm 34 years old and my vision is -1.50 in both eye (not much) I am nearsightedness.

1. What does this mean?
2. Can I lose my vision?
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
1. Just what it says your optic nerve comes into your eye at an angle. Generally its not a serious condition. It can cause some difficulty for the Eye MD in interpreting visual fields and optic nerve morphology.
2. NO not from tilted disks.

Go to Google images. Look at images of "HUMAN OPTIC DISK"  then search "human tilted optic disks" again use IMAGES.  You will readily see the difference and why they are named as it is.

JCH MD
Blank
Dr. Hagan,

Is titled optic nerve and tilted disk the same thing?

thanks

Bruce
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
the optic disk is the beginning of the optic nerve. the disk is made up of optic nerve fibers.  so in that sense if one is tilted the other is at least at the part where the nerve enters the back of the eye.

JCH MD
Blank
Will I lose vision from a tilted optic nerve or optic disc? Just wanted to double check.

thanks Dr.

Bruce
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
No

JCH MD
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker