paediatric astigmatism
My daughter is four years old..She was recently diagonised with astigmatism..The report readings are as follows
The right eye :: cyl is +1.5 , axis 100degree VN 6/6
The left   eye :: cyl is +2.25 , axis 80 degree VN 6/6
How severe is this problem? The doctor said that this problem is heriditary.
Neither my husband nor I have this problem.Nor does anybody in our families have this.How could she have got this problem? .Will she develop a squint because of this?.I am really worried..Would she have recently developed this problem or has this been persisting from her birth and not been noticed.
what is the possible cure for this?Because of such a young age, Will it get cured by regular use of the prescription glasses as she grows? or will she have to be wearing glasses all her life.Can you please help with my doubts ??
That says that with a mild RX for astigmatism your daughter sees normal. It says nothing about possible squint and nothing about what her vision is without glasses. Astigmatism is not a disease it just means the cornea is not spherical. It's not hereditary its common. Glasses don't "cure" this they just improve the vision.

You should have seen a Eye MD ophthalmologist. Not an optometrist who is not a MD not a physician. The exam for glasses would have to be conducted with dilation drops to be accurate.

If you did not see and Eye MD then find one as its quite documented that optometrists put people in glasses much more often than ophthalmologists.

JCH MD