Eye Care Community
pain after retinal detachment surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

pain after retinal detachment surgery

Hi.

I had surgery to repair a detached retina 4 weeks ago.  It was a dialysis detachment of my left eye just near my nose.  It was picked up at an eye test because I had seen flashing lights.  They reattached the retina (the macular was not off) the same day using cryo and a partial scleral buckle.  My vision was astounding in this eye prior to surgery so that I could read the bottom of the chart easily.  I had had Lasik 4 years ago in both eyes for prescriptions of -1.75 (could't tolerate contact lenses due to dry eyes).

I had some pain after the surgery but my main problem now is continuing pain.  About 2 weeks ago I started getting continuous throbbing nerve like pain every 4 seconds or so just below my eyebrow of left eye.  This pain was unbearable as I couldn't sleep and no painkillers seemed to help. I don't suffer from migranes (migraines) but tried some medication for this just in case .  It didn't help.  The pain is so bad that I went to the ER three times only to be sent away saying that the eye looks great (it does) and that it should go away.  Even had a CT which was clear.  The last 5 days or so my eye has become profoundly sore so much so that to move it in any direction really hurts.  Also I have noticed double vision when not stretching my eye muscles to extremes which was the case before.  I saw the surgeon who is frankly rude and doesn't care less.  He suggested I see a neurologist for headaches!!!!  It is definitely my eye that is causing me trouble.  It is such a pity as my vision is great in that eye 20/20 and has healed up nicely.

I really would appreciate anyone's input on this as I am getting desperate with the pain.  My eye throbs when I sleep and hurts as soon as I move it.  I also have an issue with the pupil being dilated.  I know  that it is normal for them to be slighly asymmetrical but at certain points in the day the left is fully dilated for several hours whilst the other is tiny.  At other times the differene isn't that noticeable.  I am currently taking pred forte and chlorsig drops??

Is this pain likely to go?  Is the buckle causing the pain?  What does a huge dilated pupil mean?

Please help as I feel helpless and  don't know how to get rid of the pain
I wish I had an easy solution for you.  I've read a couple of other posts reporting problems similar to yours, on this forum and elsewhere.  If your current doctor can't diagnose and treat your condition, you need to consult someone else--either a retinal specialist or perhaps a neuro-ophthalmologist.  I don't know much about medical practice in Australia; maybe the major teaching hospitals would be good places to look for referrals.  You need better pain control ASAP (at a minimum).

If a couple of consultations don't lead to acceptable results, you might try an approach that worked for me.  When the local doctors couldn't help with my eye problem, I started doing my own research about it online.  After reading relevant articles, I wrote to the authors (via email).  This led to a solution that stopped my symptoms.  So please don't give up.
Thanks for your response.  I have seen a retinal specialist who says it all looks great.  That may well be the case but it doesn't feel great.I think I would feel a bit bit better if they offered some sort of explanation rather than passing the buck.  I already suffer from anxiety/depression and this is not helping at all.  I know I am very lucky having such good vision but I can't enjoy it as my eye hurts too much to move.

I am already taking the strongest pain relief that the GP is allowed to prescribe and what is interesting is that it seems to numb everything else apart from the eye pain.  I think that they have either damaged a nerve or the buckle is compressing one.

I haven't been able to find anything on the internet about pain after this type of surgery.  More vision problems than pain.

The worse thing is that the surgeon said that I don't really need the buckle to stay in but can't be bothered to remove it.  I am seeing his boss tomorrow for a second opinion.  Praying that this time tomorrow I will be given some hope.

Thanks for reading
Also, how exactly did you manage to stop your symptoms.  Will try anything

Cheers
If you do not get help at that clinic, go to another retinologist. Have the retinologist give you pain meds, instead of the GP. INSIST you get help.
Nancygrace's advice is good, and hopefully your health care system will allow you to follow her suggestion.  The arrogant, uncaring attitude of your doctor is totally outrageous.  You absolutely need better pain control.

There is at least one other post in the archives of this site from someone who experienced constant pain following a buckle procedure.  I'm not sure whether the person posting ever found relief.  I suspect that your condition is relatively uncommon and difficult to diagnose.  I very much hope that your consultation on Monday will provide some relief.  Let us know.

I believe that JodieJ's symptoms were different from yours. I have had retina surgeries, but never pain, except after the surgery and one other time, when I had a hemorrhage. Look after that pain and your vision. Let us know.

I also had very bad experiences with a retinologist. I finally switched. If necessary, you can also switch.