Eye Care Expert Forum
pain behind eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

pain behind eye
My bother has prednisone induced cataracts, also polymialgia rhematica.  He is having extreme pain behind his eye and is only on a low dose of oxycodone.  The pain medication does not relieve his pain and he has been staying in bed, mostly, just to try to relieve some of the pressure on his eye.  Could you tell me what you think is wrong and we are looking for an optomologist (specialist) in our area.  We live in the Peculiar, Missouri area, which is about 45 minutes from Kansas City, Missouri.  Thank you for your time, will be awaiting your reply.
Sincerely,
Vicki
Dear vicherc,

I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD immediately.  Polymyalgia rheumatic can be associated with a condition called temporal arteritis which can cause severe visual impairment.  Treatment may need to be instituted immediately.  You can find an eyeMD by searching AAO.org, the find an eyeMD section.  Discover Vision Centers in Kansas City has excellent doctors.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California