Eye Care Community
pain in left eye after dilation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

pain in left eye after dilation

I will try again.  I had an exam by an opthalmologist on Friday, Jan 9.  After about 30 minutes of leaving his office I became nervous, jittery, and nauseous.   I think the eye drops caused a reaction.  Today is 2 days later, and I am still feeling discomfort in my left eye, especially when I look to the side.  I still feel sort of nauseous and jittery.  The discomfort in my eyes is mildly painful.  Could the eyedrops have caused this much trouble and anxiety?
Yes some of your problem could be the eye drops or the strength of the eye drops. The most common used are Neosynephrine 2.5% or 10%. The 10% is not used much now as it can cause rapid heart rate, increase blood pressure, nervousness, weakness.  Mydryacil doesn't usally cause problems but Cyclogel can cause mental confusion, incoordination aggitation.

I suggest you call your "eye doctor"s office and discuss the problems you had. If you don't feel you or your eye is back to normal I would go back for a follow up exam and a discuss the situation.

Next time different drops, milder drops could be used or they could have you block your tear ducts for about 3-5 minutes after they are put in.

Having said that the drops would be metabolized by now and if your eye hurts go in to see if the cornea is scratched which sometimes happens if somone rubs their eye with the cornea numb.

JCH MD
Thank you so much.  I do feel awfully weak, and my BP is elevated.  I will call, although I didn't particularly like the "eye doctor"  - I must find out what kind of drops he used, and report to my family doctor.
Also keep with your records to tell you're next "eye doctor" and be sure that's an Eye MD ophthalmologist physician. Find one near you at www.aao.org

JCH MD