Eye Care Community
permanent red veins in eyes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

permanent red veins in eyes

I have permanent red veins in the whites of my eyes due to overuse of whitening drops.  I have not used whitening drops for 3 years but I have permanent large red veins in my eyes.  I have spoken to my opthamologist about lasering off the veins but he says he will not do it because they may regenerate and possibly additional veins will generate.  I don't fully understand why this would happen as the large veins are not natural, they were made that way from whitening drops.  Would new veins be so large and also appear red all the time?  Is there any literature I can read about this procedure?

Fortunately my eyes are healthy but they do not look like it and I have lost confidence and don't like to make eye contact with people.  Can you please help me understand my options?  Also any referrals to an opthamologist with experience in this area in the San Francisco area?

thank you
You were told correctly and no ophthalmologist is going to hike out the laser because someone things their eyes are too bloodshot.

Moreover it is unlikely that the drops did this. If you will look at the archives you will see many postings of people that think the veins on the whites of their eyes are too big.

Rare is this as noticable as you think it is to other people.

See a cornea Eye MD op[hthalmologist to be sure you don't have surface iflammation or dry eyes causing the problem

A trial (4-6 months) of restasis might help

JCH MD
Just read an interesting article about this subject and there are actually two eye doctors currently performing this eye whitening and vein removal surgery in the U.S.   It’s kind of expensive unfortunately, but might be worth it for some of us that are really getting down about the matter:  

http://hubpages.com/hub/Veins-on-Eyes
-