Eye Care Community
photophobia and migrains
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

photophobia and migrains

i have had photophobia for many years and the past two years ish ive been wearing tinted glasses, thing is i cant drive at night with them on if i want to learn because it's illegal. ive been trying to build up my tolerance to light again by not wearing my glasses when its not really worth it. but the headaches come back and i feel i just cant do it now. it runs in my family, and my dad drives with sunglasses on during the day and obviously not at night, but its the fluerecent lights that irrated my eyes and cause them to burn and i get headaches that will then last for days..
my question therefore is, is there any point in me trying to learn to drive? do i have any other options? alot of my family members had the same issue at my age, but i feel soo behind because everyone else around me has had driving lessons or has a licience, but i cant because of my stupid eyes.
is there any way other than the glasses to lessen the migrains i get?
would here be any use for contact lens?

Thanks
Elle
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
There should be a reason for a young person having such abnormal photophobia (sensitivity to light).

Try and wrangle an evaluation by an ophthalmologist that specializes in cornea and external disease.

JCH MD
Blank
1378381_tn?1365736090
It runs in the family from my grandfathers side. but alot of the kids grew out of it, my dad and grandfather unfortunately didn't.
Thanks i maybe will, though when at the opticians he just said because a bit of photophobia to shove some tints on and see how it went. The migrains after a while did die down now i just get them if im extremely tired or havent wore my glasses whilst working with white things( paper, computers, some shops, or excessive sunlight)
Blank
1378381_tn?1365736090
Is it really uncommon for someone to have photophobia(light sensitivity) in their teens?
i mean ive been to florida when its the sunniest but ive had to stay out of the light and my eyes closed as much as possible because they burn unbearably.
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
yes it is ununusual.Nothing you've posted is "normal" and a cause needs to be sought.

JCH MD
Blank
1378381_tn?1365736090
Okay. thanks. so that is a no on driving then? I'm not due to go back to the opticians for however many years it is though. I can but see i guess.
Thanks
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank