Eye Care Expert Forum
pimples/acne on ridge of upper eyelid

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

pimples/acne on ridge of upper eyelid

I have a reoccuring problem with my left eye, about two weeks ago I thought I had an eyelash in my left eye. When I went to the bathroom, I looked in the mirror and saw I had a pimple on my eyelid, but not on my eyelid, not on the outside but on the inside. I don't have the langauge to describe exactly where the pimple was, and so everytime I tell a doctor they say I have an infected hair but it's not touching my eyelashes and it isn't touching my eye. The pimple was on the part of my upper eyylid that would touch the bottom lid when I blink. Now I keep getting these pimples int he same place only on the top lid and only in my left eye. I always pop them becasue I've afraid they'll pop on their own, and I'll get the infection in my eye. Normally I don't pop pimples if their just on my skin, but I don't want absess (abscess) in my eye. I'm terrified that this could affect my sight and I don't know what to do. I always clean the are with alcohol based tonifier when I get a pimple, but I know not to put topical medication on the area becasue it will get in my eye. The pimple is always isolated to a pore so I'm not sure if the pores are infected or if they are how I can stop it. The pimples don't hurt and I can't even feel them, but now I always look for them I've never had a problem like this before, and I don't reguarly touch my eyes. I only wear make-up about once or twice a week and I never put eyeliner inside of my eyelid like I know some women do. I have a history of dermatitis and skin allergies if this makes a difference.
Sounds like clogged oil glands behind the eye lashes.  I can not make a diagnosis without examining you though so you should go see an ophthalmologist to be sure.  If it is clogged oil glands, what usually works is applying warm compresses to the eyelids once or twice a day (don't burn yourself) and you could also scrub your eyelid margin with warm water and wet Q-tip to wash away build up.  Do go see an ophthalmologist though as you need an exam to make the diagnosis for sure.  Especially if doing the above doesn't help.

HV