Eye Care Expert Forum
please help!eye lid swollen, crazy itchy, red and comes and goes

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Please help ... Eye lid is driving me crazy!!!! Itchy, swollen, red eye lid comes goes away and comes back. I went to the opthamologist and he prescribed me drops and told me it was an eye allergy. At first my upper right eye lid was very dry and flaky with no itching. Then it gradually started to swell up, turn red, dry up and itch like crazy. I've never had this issue and its lasted a month already! I am not allergic to anything and have been using the same make up as I always have. I would put herbal moisteriser on it and it would go away after a couple of days. After it goes away I would apply make my make up lightly with foundation, powder , and mascara and I am fine the whole day until after I take off my make up with makeup remover tissue that I've been using for years and wash my face ...my eye lash line becomes very itchy at night and by the time I wake up my eye is swollen, red and itchy! It goes away after no use of makeup but comes back after I use mascara or anything around my right eye lid. I've never had make up allergies in my life!   It's driving me crazy and it been going on for a month now and ONLY my right eye, on and off  please help!
Its an allergy or inflammation to something. You have to find out what that something is. I'm sorry, but that's the best I have. It sounds like it's related to the makeup. Try no makeup for a long time. I know, you're like "what." "Serious...no makeup!!!"
Best wishes,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.
tmcgaritymd.com
i have the same prob  itchy watery swollen,mine startes three days ago.started out itchy then swollen to the inside next day .the last two days eyelid is red and reallly swole. almost closed .cant hardly stand to touch .i am a male no make up  .what could it be?
I've had this problem since October it's happened 3 times. My eyes will be fine, then without warning they'll both get VERY puffy and itchy and the undereye area and eyelid area will turn red, EXTREMELY DRY, flaky, itchy. It's so annoying. No changes in facial/makeup...someone told me it's probably hormonal since I'm 49 and still experiencing menopause.
Thank you all for your response . I truly appreciate it