Eye Care Expert Forum
post-cataract surgery - night-time lighting issues

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I have had cataracts removed removed from both eyes.  One  was done 3 weeks ago and the other 1 week ago.  Night driving is difficult - headlights look like sunbursts and lighting seemed diminished.  I also notice diagonal rays of light in the eye that was done 1 week ago. Daytime light is nice and light and not a problem.  
Questions:  is this nightime driving problem usual?  Does it resolve itself with time? If not, are there eyeglasses that will correct this night-time problem?  Do the diagonal rays disappear with time?
Just a few things.  Usually this will improve greatly over the next few weeks.  It sounds like you may need some new glasses and this should help quite a bit.  Ocassionaly there can be some clouding or hazing of the posterior capsule that requires a yag laser capsulotomy.  I have also seen some patients with some wrinkles or stria in the posterior capsule in the first few weeks after surgery that cause the diaganol lights you mentioned.  The get better about 90% of the time on their own and need a yag laser about 10% of the time.  So in summary, you need a bit of time, some new glasses and occasionally a yag laser capsulotomy.  Please let us know if you have a Rezoom, Restor or Crystalens implant because that is a totally different situation.

Michael Kutryb, MD
One last thing I forgot to mention.  Rarely there may be some damage to the iris during the surgery which can cause some glare issues.  Ask your surgeon if that is the case.

MJK MD
Diagonal Light Rays after Cataract Surgery

Did your diagonal light rays disappear with time or how did you get it resolved?

I had a recent cataract surgery and I am experiencing the same diagonal rays phenomenon. The rays are slanted about 40 degress with the light source at the center. Looks like a foward /. The angle of the lines follow the tilting angle of my head.

Would very much appreciate hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Eagle_3eyes