Eye Care Expert Forum
posterior polar and other issues

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

posterior polar and other issues

Okay, I have congenital cataracts, but the opthalmologist I see said something about it being a posterior polar cataract. I didn't ask him to explain what exactly it is but he did say when I do have surgery it will be a bit more risky than routine cataract surgery. Can someone explain why it is more risky and what exactly posterior polar means? Also add to this that I had Lasik surgery to correct my distance vision back when I was in my early 30's.
Polar cataracts are congenital and represent the back of the lens being stuck the the capsule that holds the lens in place.  They rarely affect vision.  This capsule needs to be kept intact during cataract surgery and the posterior polar sticking to the capsule risks ripping the capsule during cataract surgery.

HV
Was it okay to have lasik surgery then....without treating the posterior polar cataract?