Eye Care Expert Forum
prednisolone acetate eye drops
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

prednisolone acetate eye drops

I am 2 weeks after cataract surgery and feel fine. My Dr. prescribes a continuation of prednisolone acetate 1% eye drops 4x per day, at least up until my 3- week post op appointment. The possible side effects scare me. Can I gradually taper off the frequency of these steroids as long as the eye stays clear and comfortable? I saw some recommendations on-line for lowering frequency in 2nd week to 3x per day and 2x per day in 3rd week.
Related Discussions
284078_tn?1282620298
Taper the drops however your surgeon wants you to do.  Sometimes certain people need more than others so don't just do your own schedule.  It's OK to read the package insert but understand that we use these drops on several million patients a year all over the world after cataract surgery and this is fairly standard protocol.  If side effects develop, they will go away after stopping the drop.  In the end do what your surgeon says to do.  If you are really concerned, sometimes he may speed up the tapering but remember, the effects of not taking the drops properly are much worse sometimes than the potential side effects of the drops.  The key is to use them properly.

MJK MD
3 Comments
Blank
Thank you for your answer. Is 4x per day for 3 weeks so standard? I never had any eye pain or irritation, and by now most of the redness is gone. I was worried about side effects that might be permanent. I guess I'll have to trust the surgeon and follow orders.
Blank
You are correct in wanting to exercise caution. Prednisone is prescibed after many kinds of eye surgeries--in the dosage that you have been prescribed. I think as an aid in healing. I think your surgeon's office can answer this question, if Dr. Kutryb does not pick up your second question.
Blank
A related discussion, prednisolone ace was started.
Blank
A related discussion, prednesolone side effect was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
711220_tn?1251894727
Ray T Oyakawa, MDBlank
Sharper Vision Centers
Torrance, CA
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
1731421_tn?1358826971