Eye Care Community
prescription for chalazion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

prescription for chalazion

I was having trouble with my eyes-- swelling, tearing, itchiness-- went to the doctor, who prescribed drops (zylet) for what he diagnosed as a chalazion.  The zylet worked great as long as I took it; as soon as I stopped, the problem returned.  I sought a second opinion, and this opthamologist  looked at both my eyes, and she said I had blocked oil glands in both eyes.  On the one that was really bad, she worked to unclog the oil gland.  She prescribed an oral antibiotic (dyoxicycline; 50 mg twice a day for couple of days, and then once day for 10 days), along with an antibiotic eyedrop (azithromycin).  I started with one pill of the oral antibiotic, though I don't like taking it as I have colitis, so I'm worried this may cause a flare-up-- especially when she is only guessing this is a systemic bacterial infection (nothing tested).  I started on the eyedrop, and the burning and stinging were fairly severe.  So should I continue on all this, or return to my original doctor and see what he says?  Any homeopathic remedies for blocked oil glands in the eyelids?
Thanks so much.
You also need lid hygiene.  This is the correct treatment.

Dr. O.
Avatar n tn
Thanks for your response.  So, should I continue with the zylet, or the antibiotic?  She did give me some cleansing tissue samples (Ocusoft), but will this clear it up, or should I continue with the other medications?  The zylet works the best, but only as long as I take it.  Is the oral antibiotic worth taking, since this is an eye issue-- not a systemic whole body issue (I'm guessing).

Thanks again.