Eye Care Community
problems with crystalens implant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

problems with crystalens implant

i underwent cataract surgery last april.  The lens did not work and the surgeon said it was malfunctioning.  She replaced the lens three weeks later and my vision was good. Recently the vision became blurred.I saw the surgeon today and was advised that the lens is tilted as one of the hinges is keeping it tilted.  She recommended laser surgery to correct it.  I am hesitant to go that route as I researched and picked the crystalens and paid for it so I could have vision at all levels. i qm qlso concerned that the laser surgery may correct it for awhile and then another hing gets stuck. She also mentioned the inserrtion of a ring of some type but said she was hesitant to do that as it is more invasive.  What is the best course of action
I am not a Dr, but I would like to understand your situation.

From the research that I have done on the internet, my understanding is that the Cyrstalens needs to sit well to the back of the eye during the healing process post-op.  If you focus close up, the lens may vault forward and not return to it's original position. Etc, etc, etc.

From what I read on the internet, very strong eye drops are used to keep the eye from focusing near while the eye is healing and adhering itself to the lens hinge.

--> Board MD's, please correct me if I mispoke <--

I'm trying to better understand the risks involved with Cyrstalens.  Is it the lens or is it the surgeons skill?  Is it patient related or perhaps a combination of factors?  

Would you be willing to share with us your doctors instructions post-surgery and your experience?  Thx!!

I believe your best course of action would be to get a second opinion from a Eye MD surgeon that is experienced with the use of the Crystalens HD.  You might be able to get a good name from you surgeon.  Your surgeon would probably like a second opininion on your difficult case

JCH MD
I had the surgery performed at Bascom Palmer in Miami which is rated the #1 eye hospital in the country and the surgeon is supposedly one of the more experienced. I did have the post operative drops that were used to keep the lens ffrom changing focus and things went well for 3 months.  The surgeon advised that something happened in the healing process that caused the lens to tilt