Eye Care Community
progressive astigmatism/eye blurriness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

progressive astigmatism/eye blurriness

I am on vacation in Australia. I observed that my eyes have gone blurry. I used to wear glasses, but had Lasik eye surgery 4 years ago. I used to be nearsighted and my "grade" of my eyeglasses were 350+.

In a span of one week or so, I've observed my eyesight has become drastically blurred. I have gotten headaches because of this. From what I could remember, it started one night I was outside and my eyes seemed to "fog up" (like what happens with car windows) but I just brushed the occurance aside.

I believe this is astigmatism. But I am hoping it can just be allergies and that my eyesight will go back to "normal" when I go home. But I just can't believe that my astigmatism came back and in such a short span of time! And I feel that it is getting blurrier by the day.

Can it be because UV rays are stronger in Australia? Or can climate cause eye blurriness? It is winter here now. And it is my first time to experience winter (normally 7-18 degrees everyday).

I know I should consult with a doctor, but I am trying to look for answers here first. thank you.
I am not a doctor. I am very experienced with helping eye patients, including myself.

I can only say that you should see a doctor. It seems like more than allergoes, unless you wear contacts, and the contacts become unclear with discharge.

The doctor will answer you with more information.
Write back if you need to.
YOUR PROBLEM IS NOT ASTIGMATISM AND YOU SHOULD SEE AN OPHTHALMOLOGIST AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.  Treat this as a true emergency.

JCH III MD
sir john. the grade of my eye is 400/450 and i feel that i feel that its getting higher. bt my doc. said that if i wear my eyeglasses everyday it will decrease, but then i feel its getting higher what should i do? im in the philippines. and im afraid to go to an opthalmologist.
400450 is a meaningless notation. If you mean you're myopic and your glasses is -4.00 and -4.50 then you have moderately high myopia. Glasses will NOT cause it to decrease.

There is no reason to fear going to an ophthalmologist, there is a great deal of reason to be fearful NOT going to an Eye MD ophthalmologist.

You might be a good candidate for contact lens or lasik refractive surgery.

JCH MD