pterygium
Good afternoon ! I'm glad there are forums like these to discuss important health issues. I've had "surfer's eye" on my left eye for a number of years and was told at first to leave it alone. Now it's aggravating me and actually worrying me and I feel the time has come to remove it. I've heard of the "no-stitch" method being the newest procedure in lue of bare sclera; the regrowth rate being lower and the procedure having less recovery time. Sounds good to me but my concern is the cost as I have no insurance.How much do these procedures normally cost? Would you be able to recommend a program or grant I could be eligible for that would help defray the expense? Thanks so  for your help and advice.
-Joe in Florida
It sounds like you are talking about a pterygium which is sun damage to the eye. Use Google and search that term. Then use Google Images and see pictures of it.

Not all need to be removed.

I doubt you will find any charitible organizations that will foot the bill especially on a healthy young person of working age not when there are people blind that can be helped by surgery.

I cannot give you a cost estimage. Find an Eye MD at www.aao.org

Wear a hat and sunglesses outdoors.

JCH III MD
Don't have it done unless you absolutely have to.  I had surgery for a pterygium on Dec 18th '07 and now my eye won't open and no one seems to know why!
A related discussion, Why is my eye still red? was started.
A related discussion, wear sunglasses was started.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.