Eye Care Expert Forum
pterygium reccurence

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

pterygium reccurence
there's a tiny blood vessels growing in my cornea again, and also there's something white in my cornea ( scar i guess). Should i be worry? Is my pterygium growing again. My doc used conjunctival autograft with stitch. I'm so depressed, i don't have enough money to go to my doctor now. I realy need some help. I realy don't know what to do
Sometimes despite one's best efforts, the pterygium can recur.  There are some techniques which involve additional steps to curb the possibility of recurrence, but none of which are 100% effective.  There are some surgeons that use an amniotic membrane tissue graft and topical treatment with agents such as mitomycin-C to decrease the possibility of the cells responsible for recurrence to become activated again.  Unfortunately surgery is the only option available to remove the pterygium but unless the pterygium extends all the way towards the pupil, at least you can take comfort in the fact that this is not a vision-threatening entity.