ptosis after cataract surgery
Thank you for taking the time off to answer my question.
My mother had cataract surgery in India using the Phaconit method with implantation of IOL, 48 hours ago.
The surgery was in the right eye,and retro-bulbar aneasthesia was used,
On removal of eye bandages,she reports:
1) inability to lift upper eyelid,with 2/3rds of her eyeball being covered unless constant effort is applied.
2) a large transparent media in the upper part of the eye which obstructs superior vision.
   She was told this was due to an air bubble.
I would like to know what the prognosis for both conditions is.
Once again,thank you for your time.

A droopy eyelid after cataract surgery using retrobulbar block is quite common. If due to the anesthesia it should clear within a week. Sometimes a droopy eyelid can last months if due to damage to muscle or nerves but usually clear in rare cases droopy lid can be permanent and if servere can require surgery but generally no surgery is done for 4-6 months. Likely she'll be find.

Yes an air bubble could cause a field defect. Air soaks up fast and should be fone in 72 hours and if it was the air bubble the field defect will be gone.

Good luck

JCH MD