Eye Care Community
pupil damage from retina surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

pupil damage from retina surgery

I was under care for retina detachment for 6 months. It was then revealed to me that the pupil seems to have been damaged by the surgery. The reason given was that it was not observed because I was already dilated everytime I came in due to the medication I was given. I find this hard to believe that a pupil that is now larger than the other, would not be checked after surgery and monitored more closely. Should a doctor take note of possible problems like this earlier?
I too have been under care for retina detachment for 6 months. My pupil is permanently dialated. I was told I have scar tissue on the iris. I was given dialation drops for 3 months. I think this was excessive. If I had a broken arm in a cast for 3 months, I would not be able to move it. I wonder if the pupil reacts this way too. I had a 3rd surgery 03/13/08 as retina came detached again. They tried to remove scar from iris, but so far pupil is still dialated. By the way, I went to a different doctor on the 3rd surgery & was only advised to use the dialation drops for 2 weeks. I have permanently blurred vision in left eye. Was told the retina is wrinkled.
The dilation drops even if used for weeks to months will not permanently damage a pupil. The pupil is not infrequently damaged unavoidably during RD surgery due to diathermy, cryopexy, buckle placment and stitches to hold the buckle in place.

The pupil usually has to be dilated for weeks on end after RD surgery to control inflammation in the eye. Because of this it cannot be checked.

Use the search feature this has been discussed before.

CH II MD