Eye Care Expert Forum
reStor lenses near and far vision problems

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I had cataracts removed from both eyes in Jan 2012.  The doctor said he did some astigmatism correction in the right eye.  He said I should only need reading glasses of 1 power.  It has been 4 months and I need both reading glasses and distance glasses.  He keeps telling me my brain needs to adjust to the lenses.  If I am in sunlight I found that I can read a book or newspaper, but in any type of artificial light anywhere I need to use 1.25 reading glasses.  My vision for distance is not sharp and I need corrective lenses to see further than 20 feet.  I used to have to wear progressive lenses as I was very nearsighted and was quite happy with glasses until my cataracts gave me problems with blurriness.  
I am totally frustrated with having to keep putting on different glasses all day long.  I guess if I just sat in front of the TV all day I would ok, but I like to read and work on my conputer sometimes while watching TV.  It is impossible to do this without putting on and taking off glasses for each task.
Is it possible that the lenses implanted were the wrong strength?  The halos around lights has diminished somewhat so that I can tolorate driving at night with distance glasses, but then I cannot see the dashboard to read the speedometer or other controls.  My doctor keeps telling me that my brain needs to adjust, but having to keep 2 pair of glasses and switching all day long is driving me batty.
Most patients will have done all the adjusting that is going to take place by 4 months.  Give it another 2 months and if still unhappy, discuss it with the surgeon.  Not everybody likes these multifocal lenses and they do have their drawbacks.  Hopefully your surgeon explained all that before the surgery.

HV