reading without glasses after cataract surgery
I have had a cataract surgery a month ago and the optician has just examined my eye and told me that my operated eye is now -2.75 without any astimatism. My other eye is -5.5 and I will need to go for another operation even though the cataract is mild as there is an imbalance so I cannot read well even if I close one eye and it does not matter which eye I close as I cannot read well with the other unclosed eye! (I could read very well before the surgery with my naked right eye. My left eye had a very bad cataract so I could not use it). I would love to continue being able to read without glasses and will be grateful if you can advise me as to what diopter I should now aim for in my next operation. (the doctor managed to achieve what I wanted which was slightly under -3 but now I wonder if I should have asked for more than -3!)
Will it help much if I aim for a bit more shortsighted than -2.75 and if so how much more or is -2.75 enough for both eyes? rRght now reading is rather difficult which ever eye I use! I dont mind wearing glasses for distance but would love to contiune being able to read without glasses. My operation was performed under the UK National Health Service.
Most people chose to go the other way with the second eye. That is to leave is LESS than -2.75  planning a refraction of -1.50 to -1.75 would allow you to read with the first operated eye and with the second one to see the computer, shave or apply make up and shop all without glasses.

JCH III MD
Many thanks. Does this mean that -2.75 without astimatism (my left eye) will be enough for me not to need reading glasses after my second operation even if I go for say,  -1.75 in the next operation. Of course right now I am too unbalanced (right eye is  -5.5 and left eye is  -2.75). When I am less unbalanced (say at  -2.75 in left and  -1.75 in right) will I be able to read well without glasses? Right now it does not matter which eye I close, I still cannot read well with the other unclosed eye!