Aa
A
A
Close
recurrent pterygium - how many surgeries
I have got done pterygium surgery in my right eye 3 months ago and its already back and my eye looks even redder and with thicker veins. amino graft was used but no mitomycin.

My doctor advised he is ready to perform another surgery now with aminograft and mitomycin.

What if it comes back again? how many surgeries can we perform on the eye for pteryigum?

(each time a surgery is done, we used steroids close to 2 months which damages ones optical nerve in some ways. i am a steroid responder.)
Cancel
3 Answers
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
233488 tn?1310696703
This type of surgery is very common in countries near the equator.  Having "a lot of surgery" would be 3 to 5 procedures. The number that high has been much reduced by grafts and mitomycin. Doing the surgery earlier when small is usually better.
JCH MD
Comment
Cancel
233488 tn?1310696703
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
doctor,
does that mean pterygium wont re-occur after 3-5 surgeries max or does the surgeon give up after attempting 3-5 times as it may not be safe for the patient?

Thanks
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
233488 tn?1310696703
It is not possible to generalize about this or to tell you what will happen with your condition. Your surgeon can give you a much better idea.

JCH MD
Comment
Cancel
233488 tn?1310696703
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources