Eye Care Expert Forum
red eye-white eye in photos

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

red eye-white eye in photos

I started wearing contact lenses with stigmatism about a month ago. Since then, in some of my photos I appear to have red eye reflex in only one eye (The other eye doesn't have the red reflex, so I call it the "white eye" since right in the center of the pupil it is white). My prescription is left eye: -3.00(myopia), 1 (stigmatism), right eye: -3.75 (myopia), 1.25 (stigmatism).  "The axis" of the contacts are 180 on the left eye and 150 on the right. Is it possible that my red eye-white eye photos are due to the fact that I'm wearing lenses with stigmatism with different prescriptions for each eye? I had my eye exam about a month ago for the lens prescription as well, and the doctor said that there was nothing wrong with my eyes except the myopia and the astigmatism. Is it possible that she missed something that causes the red eye-white eye in the pictures? Or is it possible that I developed something in my eyes in this time period?
Thank you very much
Lynoure
Dear Lynoure,

I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD and show the doctor the pictures you are describing and let the doctor know what you notice.  He/she should do a complete eye examination including dilation.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California