Eye Care Expert Forum
red eye with blister

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

red eye with blister
I have a blister on my eye - just beside the iris, on the nasel side. this area is reddened, painless, and no change in vision. it has been there about 2 weeks. I saw a doctor who said it was a blister - pingueculum - and to use a product like visine to reduce the redness. He said if it grows and obstructs my vision it can be surgically removed.

How long do they commonly last?

It will not go away.  It will always be there and get get larger if you are exposed to too much wind, sun, smoke or other irritants.  Now at present it may be more swollen and irritated than usual so you need to do exactly what your doctor says and protect the eyes with excellent wraparound sunglasses and drops as directed.

MJK MD
thank you for your rapid response!
I will follow the advice and keep it monitored. I do have routine eye exams annually. I will call my eye doctor if it does not settle. I hope it improves as it looks so awful and other people comment on it.
I live and work in a smoke free environment, and do not smoke myself. Sunshine is limited here in central Canada, and I work long days in doors 5 days per week so I am surprised that those are the causes. I do spend many hours infront of the computer screen with work and school - is that a cause?

Bernie