Eye Care Community
red eyes with gunk after wearing contacts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I've been having this problem with my eyes since December. Let me start by saying, I NEVER wear my contacts at night, however maybe once or twice during a daytime nap. One night (I had been wearing my contacts all day, nothing out of the norm) my vision was going blurry, so I'd blink and it would go away. But, the problem persisted until it became an annoyance and I took my contacts out, noticing my eyes were somewhat irritated and a little bloodshot. Didn't think anything of it. Went to sleep, woke up with my eyes even more blood shot, and slightly crusted together, like my eyes had been producing gunk all night. I thought maybe it was just a fluke, so I kept wearing my contacts, and the problem just continued. So, finally I decided to give my eyes a break, didn't wear contacts for a week. Put my contacts back in for a whole day and the problem happened again. So I decided to not wear my contacts for another week, and put a brand new pair of contacts in. So I did, and the problem went away for a couple weeks, and it started doing the same thing. I wake up and they are red and gunky, so i put some visaline in them and let them rest for a couple hours, they clear up a little, put my contacts in, where them all day without irritation, but by the end of the day they are red, and seems swollen-like as well, and in the morning they are still gunky and red. Ive changed contact cases as well. So I am confused as to what the problem is. I've always had the same kind of contacts and contacts solution. Someone please help explain what might be going on with my eyes.
I suggest that you see your eye care provider before attempting to wear your contacts again.
I agree with JodieJ.  You need to see an ophthalmologist.
Thanks for you advice. I was hoping to maybe get some suggestions as to what my problem could possibly be, because I am in college away from home where my eye care provider is at, so I was hoping to find some close answers or an idea as to my situation online. Also to add to the list of symptoms my eyes hurt like sandpaper rubbing on them when they are bloodshot and gunky
I have the exact same problem as you! Often the redness just happens in one eye.  It used to happen in my right eye all the time but just last night I wore contacts to go running in the park, and it happened in my left eye for the first time.  Did you ever figure out what was wrong?

I went to see my optometrist several times and basically they said I have chronic blepharitis and have to do warm compresses and eyelid scrubs daily. I also have chronic dry eye, which I think isn't helping with the infections.

I don't understand why this is happening :( It's really terrible--never thought dry eyes could be this annoying.