Eye Care Community
referral for retinal care/Seattle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

referral for retinal care/Seattle

I am a 58 yr old female. I have been having vision changes in my left. I have noticed in the last 2 weeks that I could not see parts of traffic signs as I was driving. There are also letters missing in a word as I try to read. Vision is dimmer as well. I was wearing monovision contacts, with the distance lens in my left eye.  I saw optom. who said I have  AMD. With corrective lenses, I  have 20/40 vision in L eye. I take very good care of myself---exercise regularly by walking and working out with weights at gym, eat nutritious foods, have never smoked, have normal blood pressure and no family members with AMD.    Any ideas of what it is?
     Also,  I need to know if anyone can suggest a very good retinal specialist in my area. I have a feeling that what I have is not AMD---a macular hole or maybe CSR-?? Thank you.
See an ophthalmologist or retinal specialist.  Find one on AAO.org.

Dr. O.
Thank you for your quick reply. So a retinal specialist would not necessarily be preferable to an ophthalmologist? Would one be more qualified over the other?
Dr. O is suggesting that you see an ophthalmologist who specializes in retinal problems.  I checked Castle-Connolly's directory of "best" doctors, which listed Dr. Russell Van Gelder at the University of Washington (206-744-2020).  I don't know if he's the "best" retinal specialist in Seattle, but he has to be board-certified and respected by other doctors to get listed by Castle-Connolly.
I live in Poulsbo, which is only a ferry ride away from Seattle.  THE best retinal specialist in the area, who also gets many referrals from Seattle docs, and is known to all the best eye docs in Seattle, is Todd Schneiderman, MD., Retinal Center Northwest, phone 360-307-0300.  You couldn't have anyone more compassionate,  or more knowledgeable, and the staff is wonderful.  If you haven't found someone already, do not delay.  I had many of your same symptoms, and time is of the essence..  Good Luck!