Eye Care Expert Forum
removal of silicone oil from eye
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

removal of silicone oil from eye

I have had silicone oil in my eye post-op retinal detachment surgery for the past 2-years now.  My current physician is advising me to have it taken out due to future complications of decomosition of the cornea.  I am not sure how the oil affects the cornea when the oil for the most part is in the back of the eye.  However, with that stated, the oil has migrated to the front of the eye touching the cornea 3 times in the past 2 years.  I have been able to get it back where it belongs (in the backside of the iris) al three times, usually within a day sometimes 2.  My current vision with the silicone is 20/100-200.  Should the oil or does it have to come out?  And for those who had it taken out, why did you (perhaps dr. advice), and would you do it again if you had an option?  Thank you for any replies.