Eye Care Community
restore problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

restore problems

My restores are 2 years implanted now. The doctor did not recomend explanting ever. He kept stating that my vision was improving and would continue to do so. That has not happened. My distance vision is hazy,I cannot read road signs,and my depth preception is off. I cannot see well at all inside my home. I must have a daylight bright light to read under.I have had two second opinions. University of Miami required two trips with many tests and them would not make a recomendation. The other was to explant one lens and leave the other . Has anyone had these experiences and can you function with both. Thanks for any help
Sorry you are having problems with the ReStor lens.  If you've done a search on this website you'll see that the multifocal lenses are more prone to problems.   I don't know if you've had a Yag laser procedure, but from what I've read on this site that makes explanting more difficult.  As you probably know,  it's best to explant in the early months.  

I had a ReStor lens implanted middle of September and am having problems with hazy distance vision for most of the day.  Near and intermediate vision is okay.  So now I have a ReStor in my left eye and wear a contact in my other eye.  Originally, I planned to get a ReStor in the other eye right away, but given my problems, I've decided to wait until the cataract in that other eye interferes with my vision and then probably get a monofocal in the other eye.   Even though they say that the ReStor works better when implanted in both eyes, I don't find it a problem having only one ReStor.  So having one explanted would probably be okay if done by someone who has quite a bit of experience doing so.  There are quite a few people on this forum who've had theirs explanted successfully and are happy with the results.  I'm not sure anyone had waited two years though I know someone had waited six months.

I'm in South Florida also.  I went for two opinions (though not at Bascom Palmer).  I especially liked the second doctor.  She, however, thinks my problems are not necessarily related to the ReStor lens since I'm experiencing fluctuating vision (good distance vision in the morning and then it gets blurry) and am still slightly myopic in the ReStor eye.  She's treating me for dry eye and blepharitis roseaca (sp?) since that may play a part.  I've pretty much decided to live with the ReStor (I also have glaucoma and don't want to chance potential problems with my vision).  Since my vision can be corrected to 20/20, I'll eventually get a contact (and glasses) for that eye if I need very sharp vision in both eyes.  For me, one eye with sharp vision works just fine though I find it disappointing since I dreamed of not needing glasses or contacts for distance. However, I doubt I'll take a chance on another ReStor since I need sharp vision in at least one eye and I think it'll be easier to get me to 20/20 with a monofocal.

Good luck to you.  
Use the search function.

Dr. O.
My ReStor was implanted in my R eye 6 months ago (-4.5 very nearsighted). I was supposed to have one in my L eye the next week & I waited. Glad I did! After 6 months of adjusting, my OVERALL vision has improved a LOT, but the Restor is not as clear as I had hoped. That eye alone is some what blurry. The odd thing is, I see very poorly out of the L eye by itself (uncorrected), but TOGETHER, I see quite well in good light outside! How do you explain that!

I do get light flashes occasionally when light hits the side of the ReStor a certain way. Right now, without anything in my L (uncorredted) eye, I can get around and things are somewhat clear - I can even drive during a sunny day with no extra help! But at night, I have big globes around headlights, and poor night vision. However, with a contact lens in the L eye (only) I see quite well. I use reading glasses for the computer & to read. I can almost see the computer without the contact.

Hope this helps!
I got both eyes done with the restore lens and the two problems I have are that I can no longer read in bed without glasses or very bright light and the lens relect light which makes it look like I have bionic eyes - people notice and think it is strange!  I was not told of this effect ahead of time.