Eye Care Community
retina hole repair itself?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

retina hole repair itself?

I am 25 yrs old and was told at my regular eye checkup that I have a small retina hole about a year ago. I then went to retina specialist and he confirmed that I had a small hole. He said that I could get it lasered closed, but as it was there was approx a 97% chance that nothing would further occur from it (no retina detachment) and if I git the surgery then it would reduce it to 98.5% (or some similar percentage). I asked him if the hole would affect me getting LASIK later, and he told me no.

A few months later I contaced a LASIK surgeon and they told me that as a prerequisite, I must first get the hole repaired (but they never actually looked at my eye). Then, another LASIK dr told me that as long as the retina specialist said that I could get the LASIK, then there should not be any problem and I could get LASIK.  So, to be sure I went back to the specialist, and he re examined the eye and said that the hole looked the same.

Today I went to another LASIK dr and they examined my eye (dilated the eye and had 2 doctors look for the hole), and they told me that there was no hole anymore and that it looked like the viscous fluid filled it in on its own, so there is no reason to worry about getting it repaired prior to LASIK.

So, my question is, can the retina hole repair itself without laser surgery or anything?
I was told from my doctors that some wall in the eye is not strong enough to create support for a tear/hole to be healed (scar over).  But hopefully it can and in your case hopefully it did.  I had a detached retina about 5 months ago, glad i didnt get the lasik yet cause i was thinking about it, once you get the surgery your eyes change again, now i will probably have to wait a few years until i can get it.  if you play any sports wear full protection, better to look funny than see funny.
Yes a retinal hole can spontaneously seal itself.

JCH MD
i am having holes in retina . the doctor say there are several small holes in my retina.. i m planning to go for the laser treatment for retina ..but can i have my routine after the laser treatment such as having sports ..lliving my routne etc ?? will this treatment effect my routine ?? and my future ?
Discuss it with your surgeon only he/she can determine what you should or should not do.

JCH MD
hi i was play cricket i got hit ball on my eye after that i cant read worlds clearly then i went doctor he told me my i got hole in retina such a little hole he told me about surgery ! my question is there is any solution without surgery can my retina recover by self like natural ?
Small holes in the periphery don't always need surgery and can repair themselves.
Holes or even tears near the macula from an injury are another thing.
Maybe they repair themselves maybe they lead to retinal detachment which threatens your vision in that eye.
I think you need to see a retinal specialist for an evaluation/second opinion. Find one on aao.org.
but i stille can not read world and its been 3 weeks now ! if they  repair themselves how long its takes !  thanks for reply Sir..
I had retina hole laser surgery in my right eye and within a month I got normal vision with spectacles . I feel like now my vision is much clear and stable .
great news, thanks for sharing your experience with us
Hi there, I have had very complicating eyes lost sight when i was only 9 months old with herpetic menengitis and so on, i have had retinal detatchment last year also i have big scars at the back of my eye which because of my vision being very small amount, i was told if i have operation my eye will expload. It has thinned the retina, i never even managed to see properly or pin-point what images were like or writing... but i was getting better until last week i had another similar problem a year later. No one wants to operate on me, but my doctor also was a bit upset i am going away on a holiday. I am seeing him soon next week. My question is, 5 days my eye was black as if my eye was closed. i laid in bed thinking my eye is closed. from the front my eye looks fine but i think it has slightly gone right which makes me very unhappy because i am quite a perfectionist from outside as doesn't show the back of my two eyes. What my question is, how many days does a retina heal up itself? if they will ot operate on me, what are my hopes? generally my body heals up quick. I am 38 female and i go to the gym a lot (not hard work out but i try to keep fit and eat healthy). i started to take vitamins called Visioncare which has helped me recently. i am 47 kilos and not sure if i had this problem by loosing weight. I have so much to ask. who can i contact? Thank you. (yes i do have my consultants but i have had many group and check my eye and they all believe i must never have the operation because i will loose the tiny vision i have. my left eye sees such small dot vision but it's clear) thanks
Hi there, I have had very complicating eyes lost sight when i was only 9 months old with herpetic menengitis and so on, i have had retinal detatchment last year also i have big scars at the back of my eye which because of my vision being very small amount, i was told if i have operation my eye will expload. It has thinned the retina, i never even managed to see properly or pin-point what images were like or writing... but i was getting better until last week i had another similar problem a year later. No one wants to operate on me, but my doctor also was a bit upset i am going away on a holiday. I am seeing him soon next week. My question is, 5 days my eye was black as if my eye was closed. i laid in bed thinking my eye is closed. from the front my eye looks fine but i think it has slightly gone right which makes me very unhappy because i am quite a perfectionist from outside as doesn't show the back of my two eyes. What my question is, how many days does a retina heal up itself? if they will ot operate on me, what are my hopes? generally my body heals up quick. I am 38 female and i go to the gym a lot (not hard work out but i try to keep fit and eat healthy). i started to take vitamins called Visioncare which has helped me recently. i am 47 kilos and not sure if i had this problem by loosing weight. I have so much to ask. who can i contact? Thank you. (yes i do have my consultants but i have had many group and check my eye and they all believe i must never have the operation because i will loose the tiny vision i have. my left eye sees such small dot vision but it's clear) thanks. Oh just to say, i'm new here...
iam ravi 26 years before lasik surgery that docter did not do the retinal checkup after lasik i have tetinal holes iam myopic if i had holes after lasik it can be incresed
doctor says retina hole is repairing itself, but i feel pinching- Is this normal?