Eye Care Community
retina/lens/cornia transplant possible?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

retina/lens/cornia transplant possible?

Hi my name is Ryan I was born with glaucoma and anarita over the years my eye have went through many different changes and which let to a doctor having to take a cataract out of my left eye. When that surgery was done the lens on the eye tilted and now is leaning against the cornea. Also at the same time my cornea is swollen and needs to be replaced.

I am currently seeing Dr. Paul C. Kang  Tycson Corner,VA and he has suggested a lens and cornea replacement/transplant well since i was born with anarita i have no iris so there is nothing to sew the lens to. He wants to find someone to build a iris for my so that a new cornea and lens can be properily put into the eye.

I have a few question. I have found a doctor who said this surgery exist but it would not be covered by insurance because it is not FDA appoved and I do not have to money to pay out of pocket.

My Questions..
Is there any policies or grants i can get money from to help me pay for this?
How wpuld find the best doctor who could do this surgery cause i feel like my doctor is just going to refer me to a doctor he personaly not and not nessicarly the best?
How could i go about finding a doctor who might do this case probono?
You should work with your present ophthalmologist to work through this. In many cases a review committee of the insurance company can look at material submitted by your physicians and okay a procedure even if it is considered experimental by the FDA.   Remember that, in my opinion, the FDA is a big, ponderous, inexcusably slow government bureaucracy that  serves the American public poorly.

What is standard procedure in the rest of the world is often "experimental" here even when the drugs, instruments or procedures were developed by American drug companies or American physicians. Examples corneal colligen cross-linking with riboflavin.

Second if something is under FDA study often the investigators do not charge or insome cases the drug company or device company actually reimburse people for their participation.

JCH MD