Eye Care Expert Forum
retinal edema

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

retinal edema

In the absence of diabetes or hypertension, what are some other causes of retinal edema?
Dear Beth0403,

It is hard to comment on your question as I am not sure of what kind of swelling of the retina that you have. Some conditions such as central serous retinopathy may be associated with corticosteroid use and stress.  

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
Why has no one responded to you?
I'm just a patient who has had retinal (macular) edema for quite a while. Mine is a postoperative complication. This is a common cause.. especially after cataract surgery when it is called Irvine Gass syndrome. It can occur after other eye surgeries. It can also be caused by neovascular disease or retinal vein occlusion. Diabetes is a common cause, but I really don't think high blood pressure by itself can cause it, but again, I'm a patient not an ophthalmologist. Have you heard or read that high blood pressure can be a cause??? What is your situation? I might be able to offer advice, I've had multiple bouts of cystoid macular edema over 2 1/2 years.