Eye Care Community
retinal surgery and scar tissue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

retinal surgery and scar tissue

I had a a retinal detachment from the viteous pulling on the retina causing a tear.  After an in office porcedure and two surgeries I developed scar tissue that caused a tractional detach so I had that operated on and silcone oil injected as a tamponade.  We left the oil in for 17 months and last week I had the oil removed and more scar tissue removed from my retina.  My vision is not good overall but specifically where the scar tissue was removed, around the center of my vision, is a blind spot.  Not dark, but just blank.  Is there any chance I will regain some sight here?  As it stands right now, I don't even register on the low vision charts.  Has anyone out there recovered vision after having scar tissue removed from their retina? Twice?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The results of your surgery are often slow to develop and with this type of surgery it may take a year or more for the final result. Many to most patients with this type of surgery do not recover full vision and some blind spots (scotoma) remain permanently in the eye.

JCH MD
I had pictures taken of my retina and it shows scarring.First my dr said that surgery was the last resort.. I put steroid drops in now and after teh pictures he said that some drs would say I need surgery but he did not want to commit. I am scared to death because I am already blind in one eye from a totally detached retina.. I cut myself with a knife when I was a child and since I could nto see it was not deteced. But I am worried too that the scaring would detach the retina... I am so woried I can't sleep at night.Thank you.
You will be in my prayers Greylie.  Please keep consulting with your Doctor to help you.  Dont give up.

Again. I will pray for you.  Keep yourself close to family and good friends.  God is kind and good.  God Bless you.
-
I also have a detached retina in my left eye. It started 4/2012 after the first surgery, about a week later I started to see some vison,then it went dark,& I`ve been blined in that eye ever since!! when I went back in for a check up, the Dr. said that I had scar tissue forming on the left side of that eye,so I went back to surgery to have it removed. now he said that it`s forming agin on top of the eye,& he won`t operate agin. I`ve applied for disability & they turned me down (big surpise there!! right?)I now have a lawyer on the case.I find it interesting that everyone that I talked to on disability, that they all get turn down at first withS.S.I.then they get apoved with a lawyer it may take 2 or 3 time, but they get it in the end. the Dr. says that S.S.I. don`t approve it unless you are blind in both eyes.... I dare any of them to go around for 5 months like I have & then tell me it no problem!!!! PLUS isn`t there part disibilty?? or temp.?? plus I`m not working, have no insurance, no money & I think thats the real reason why the Dr. won`t operate!!! it was over $30,000 per surgery, & still no vision!!! REALLY!! I`m glad I got financial asst. to  0 out the bill, can you image paying over $60,000 for no sight?? again REALLY!! I like to know if I may also have a case to sue the Dr.??PLUS what can I do while wating for disibilty?for money to pay the bills? my email is ***@****   please help!! thank you & God Bless.
          Same thing happened to me, retinal detachment in April 2011, surgery in July 2011. Waited to long, no insurance. Falling down stairs, tripping on curbs, ( perception is the problem, being blind in One eye). I was turned down for SSDI until, getting lawyer. They go by over 55 of age and other past injuries, also being able to return to your normal work.
-