Eye Care Expert Forum
right eye twitch

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

right eye twitch

Since july, my right lower eyelid has been twitching off and on. My eye has never twitched before that. Sometimes it starts if i sneeze or laugh, and sometimes it just happens. It goes away for days and then comes back.
I thought it might be because of stress, but i really dont feel that stressed out, at least if i am, its something im used to and wouldnt be traumatic.
Ive been getting migraines since i was in the 7th grade (im a junior in college now) and it started out with a funny aura and ringing in my ears, but i havnt had a migraine in years. I looked up online if either had to do with the other, and their is this migraine called basilar migraines, which kind of sound like the type of migraines i used to get.
Im probably being a hypochondriac, but Im just curious as to know what i could do to get rid of the twitching, and if you think that my eye twitch could actually be a migraine without the headach pain.
There is no relation between your migraines and the eyelid twitching. In almost all cases the twitching is "myokympia" or an irritable orbicularis oculi (the doughnut shaped muscle that closes the eye).  It's common as dirt in the practice of ophthalmology. Sometimes lasts for days, weeks, months but eventually goes away.

Its not the same thing as blepharospasm which comes on gets worse and often requires treatment with Botox injections.

Nevertheless you should get a comprehensive medical eye exam from an Eye MD physician-ophthalmologist.

John C. Hagan III MD
can magnesium pills help get rid of the twitch?
There are no controled studies on the use of Mg++ to stop myokymia.  

JCH III MD
my mom said that it works well with muscle spasm and cramps, and recommended it, my eye hasnt twitch since i took it...it might just be in my head but i think it was a good suggestion nontheless
_________________________
Steph,

I had the same problem as you - with regards to the eye twitching.  I only noticed it prior to having Lasik last year - and thought it was the dx of painless migraines, but after a thorough exam from a neuro-opth at the Med Ctr ( I was actually more worried it was related to an enlarged optic nerve I had in that left eye), they determined it was brought on by straining the eyes too much.  I won't go into details, but let's just say, I was the WORST contact wearer patient and knew I was straining them by being non-compliant.  

I have had migraines since childhood also, so they ran tests related to that but found to be not related.  Suffice to say, after the Lasik, I haven't had a problem with twitching, but I'm quite certain it was b/c I would go months without taking my disposable contacts out - just a thought  ;-)

I'm not sure if you wear contacts, but the eye strain sounded good since I haven't experienced it since.  It could have been stress related but then who is NOT stressed??  
------------------------------------------