Eye Care Community
ring around iris

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

ring around iris

light blue ring around brown eye - what does it suggest?
Nothing I don;t think. My grandpa has that too. Always has.
If the light blue iris ring you are seeing is at or near the margin between the iris (colored part of your eye) and the sclera (white part) and forms a large ring around that margin it is likely to be a deposit of cholesterol. It does not damaging to the eye and does not interfere with vision. This is very common in older individuals but if you are a young adult it may suggest high cholesterol. If the ring you are seeing is anywhere else on the iris other than following the outside margin, it should be checked.
It is called arcus senilis. It may be cosmetically undesirable but does not affect vision.
Speedy03 is absolutely correct.
JCH MD
I too have recently noticed this condition in my drak brown eyes...if you go to this link I found you'll see pictures and suggestions as to care and/or test needed to be certain of the cause..

http://sphynxcatvp.nocturna.org/faq/most-ringaroundtheiris.html

according to that site it can be Calcific Band Keratopathy , caused by several things , thay recommend a complete metabolic/chem20 blood test and a cholesterol panel to determine if it's a calcium issue, cholesterol or something else...
a band keratopathy (calcium in the cornea) and cornea arcus (cholesterol in the cornea) are usually easily distinguished by an ophthalmologist. See an ophthalmologist to determine which it is. Find an Eye MD near you at www.aao.org

JCH MD