Eye Care Expert Forum
ruptured vein on eyelid
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

ruptured vein on eyelid

I am female, 45 yr. old, also a flight attendant of 23 years.  4 nights ago, while overseas and lying in bed, I felt a strange sensation on my right eyelid, almost like a twitch, then swelling. I looked in the mirror and immediately my entire right eyelid was swollen and purple, almost black even. I could only suppose a vein or blood vessel had ruptured.  I applied ice, but the next morning it was even worse. I was checked by a medic before the flight, and told it was a ruptured vessel, though the worse he had ever seen.  I was told it was safe to fly the 8 hours back to the U.S.  Immediately after takeoff the pressure worsened, and the bruising began to go to my under eye area.  Slight headache and pain in sinus area on right.  When I arrived in the U.S. I went to my airline's company clinic and was diagnosed as hematoma due to vessel rupture, and that it was the worst he had seen as well. He told me to lie flat as much as possible and to ice several times during the day.  Now the bruising has obviously spread to my undereye and cheek area, and sinus is still congested with some blood.  Should I be concerned with this much blood/clotting and the cabin pressure of flying?  I worry about a clot moving, causing a stroke or such.  Is there anything else I can do to expedite the clearing of the severe bruising?  The white of my eye is white, and I have no vision problems. I would appreciate your advice.

Regards