Eye Care Expert Forum
scar tissue after cataract surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

scar tissue after cataract surgery
I recently had cataract surgery two months ago and went back to my doctor to check things out. i knew I had some scar tissue that had developed, and my surgeron said not to worry about it and scheduled me to come back in March of 2009. He said it would probably get worse and in March he would "break it up." Everything else turned out fine and I can see much better. i just resigned myself that I have to put up with scar tissue for 5 months in order to have better sight. How normal is scar tissue after cataract surgery? why can't he take the scar tissue out now instead of waiting 5 months? Thanks
I suspect you may be talking about posterior capsule opacification (PCO) which occurs naturally after cataract surgery.  It is treated with an Yag Laser and has about a 99.5% success rate and extremely low rate of complications.  Usually the doctor will wait until the vision is blurred significantly before performing the Yag Laser Capsulotomy.  Perhaps your vision is not affected enough at present to warrent the laser procedure.  Ask your doctor if you have PCO.

MJK MD
A related discussion, cloud behind right eye was started.