Eye Care Community
scleral buckle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

scleral buckle

I had rt retinal detachment repaired 21 May 2008 and 08 June the bubbles disappeared. I have this light sensitivity especially outside during bright sunny day. My vision regress quite a bit. I still feel pain just like a head ache on my right temple but not too bad.  It was only 21 days since the surgery so I guess I needed more time to heal.  Is there anybody here that their buckle removed? is your vision came back to prior to detachment?  

This discussion is related to Post Scleral Buckle Surgery Condition.
Buenas Tardes, Reynaldo

I am not a doctor. I am a community leader here. I have a lot of experience helping eye patients, especially me.

What I hear from the doctors, is that removing a scleral buckle is usually only performed when there is another risk to the eye.

It will not restore your vision, I beleive.

All your other symptoms at this point sound normal. Check with your surgeon right away, if you feel there is a problem.

The docto will be along to comment.
I am at 20/60 after 21 post surgery. My vision prior to retinal detachment was 20/30. Will I see 20/30 if the scleral buckle was removed maybe in 3-6 months or later?
No.

Wait for the doctor to answer.
Healing from a RD operation and the "final visual result" can take up to a year. Taking a buckle off won't make you see better and buckles are generally not removed unless they're causing trouble which they usually don't. Even a perfectly reattached retina may not recover normal vision especially if the macula is detached.

Use the search feature. There is a wealth of discussions about all stages of RD surgery recovery.

JCH II MD
The macula is not affected. It has been 24 days now but I have noticed that I am quite a bit more nearsighted than before.  1 wk after surgery = 20/200: 2 wks = 20/50; 3 wks = 20/40; 4 wks = 20/60. Now it seems I am too nearsighted. My questions [ will my vision improved to acceptable driving visual acuity? I am 20/30 prior to RD.  Thanks

Rey
When is the last time you shared these concerns with your surgeon?
I saw my Retina Dr last 09 June Monday. Everything was fine. Retina was attached. I will see her again the 19 June thursday.  My surgery was last 21 May.    
So glad everything was fine. Did you discuss you vision concerns? Was she reassuring?

It takes 6 months to a year for your vision to settle into a more lasting measurement. Did she tell you this? The doctor has written that here, of course.
I had retinal detachment may 7th 2008 and needed vitriectomy, scleral buckle and gas bubble insertion.  I have been doing fine except for the double vison which they say may take 6 months to clear.  Anyone else experience this complication
There are many postings on these two eye forums about double vision after RD surgery. Use the search feature and look in archives.

JCH MD
Scleral buckling 21 May. I see my Dr every week since post surgery then last 7 July. I will see her 22 July to perform 360 on my good eye. My question? how long do I see results with my right eye post RD? It seems that it is now 20/200.  The Dr told me it can be corrected to 2 diopter and later to 1.5 diopter. What is 2 and 2 diopter? WIll my eyes improve? RD was on the peripheral but She told me that fluid went as far to my macula. Please what is your opinion?
Even though the retina is re-attached it may not recover "good" or "normal" vision, this is especially true if the macula was detached. The recovery is long and the final vision may not be obtained for 6-12 months.  The band around the eye makes it longer which makes the eye more nearsighted or myopic. Diopters is a unit of lens (glasses) power. The problem is that the proper glasses may not correct the damaged eye to normal vision. It could go either way, only time will tell. No one can be definite. your surgeon is the best source of specific information. Good luck

JCH MD
Do a search here and see the recent posts by Dr. Hagan and Dr.Kutryb.

Also look up the article in Ophthalmology 2008.

You should have had PVD and a second opinion before you get 360.

My good eye has been 360'd, but I have had PVD. If you have not, get a second opinion.
i had a scleral buckle done about 3 months ago jan 11,2012 my question is can i go back to the gym and lift weights? my surgeon told me i can do whatever i want but i forgot to ask him about lifting and bending. thank you ERC
I had all of that. The surgeon did the best he could. Eye saved; life a nightmare due to distortion of every aspect of my earthly existence inside my head/perception, in addition to my eye and surrounding area feeling like it is going to implode and explode at the same time. Very little was said to me about any of the resulting nightmare. Clinically, the doctor probably considers the surgery successful. They don't and can't deal with the aftermath of patients trying to just hold on, to stay on this earth after the surgery. That is not in their power to change. They should let people know more, though, about the damage that will probably occur to the macula. Not many doctors, including neurological ophthalmologists, in my opinion, understand, nor can they understand, what the nightmare is like, and how life becomes a tenuous and depressing affair every gripping moment of the day and night, all caused by physical aspects, not psychological ones, that have exploded into the eye and head, warping one's former life about which one wonders, never to have again. Sisyphean in magnitude. Dr. Oliver Sacks, author of THE MIND'S EYE, is one who understands unfortunately, due to his nightmare from eye cancer. My surgery was FOUR AND A HALF YEARS AGO.