Eye Care Expert Forum
second cataract surgery - 1st failed

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

second cataract surgery - 1st failed
I recently has cataract surgery in my left eye.  Afters 2 months with vision worst than before the surgery I had it done again.  The second time it was a success

I noticed that my first lens was an 18.5 while the second successful one was 22.0

when I asked the doctor about this he said that we had a different anathesiologist and they have different fornulas and that was probably the problem.

Is this possible?
The first surgery didn't "fail" - it sounds like you just got the incorrect power implant due to either a measurement or calculation or possible clerical error.  It has nothing to due with anesthesia.  For the second surgery - the calculations were redone and a better power IOl was used

MJK MD
I thought that was mostlikely

I have had the same opthalmologist for 4 years and I am very disheartened that he would say that

I don't know how to approach him on this

any suggesitons?
It doesn't matter what you say to him.  It is all behind you now.  Presumably after the re-operation with IOL exchange, everything is OK now.  If you like and trust the surgeon you can stay with him.  If not see another surgeon for second eye.

MJK MD
thanks, you are absolutely right

I am happy and that's the truth!
A related discussion, Cataract surgery tear was started.