Eye Care Community
secondary cataract or vitreous cloud

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

secondary cataract or vitreous cloud

I have posted this question ,but have not gotten an answer yet, therefore I am going to re post and hope someone has an idea about this situation.
I had cataract surgery 8 months ago on both eyes , and have had many complications with both eyes. I had a secondary catract to develop in just a few weeks of surgery but my surgeon would not Yag laser it at the time because of inflamation (inflammation). Once the inflamation (inflammation) was gone (it took about 4 months) I had it Yag lasered twice and the cloud remains. Now I am being told that the problem is not in the capsule. It is a cloud in the vitreous. My vision seems the same to me ,whatever the reason for the heavy cloud.
My question is this==could two yag lasers have caused the cloud in the vitreous? I forgot to ask him that . I am beginning to think I will have to learn to live with this cloud. :O(

No yag lasers don't cause floaters or vitreous opacities. In fact there are several studies using the yag laser to cut or break up vitreous floaters. Most of the studies show they do not help much.

JCH MD
Thank you for answering my question. I have been reading about the usage of Yag laser for removing floaters, and I know there are a few Drs who claim to have great results.The key word here is "CLAIM."
Maybe one day someone will come up with a method that will help in most cases, without too much risk involved.
Since 50% of people over 50 and 75% of people 75 years of age or over have floaters only a tiny minority find them a problem.  

JCH MD
I am 66 years old and never had a floater , retinal tear, cornea problems , dry eyes or a huge cloud in one eye until I had cataract surgery.
As I have said before,if I had it to do over ,I would not do it unless I was unable to function.
My life has been seriously changed by all these problems, and the floaters are a huge problem for me when driving, reading , using the computer or just trying to look a friend in the face.
Yes , I am upset and sorry I used the Dr that I did. ===Live and learn, is what I am saying now.
:O(
-